packing for hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

packing for hospital packing for hospital

Unread 06-04-2005, 09:41 AM
packing for hospital

My puncturing isn't for a couple more weeks - but I am already thinking about my packing. I am wondering if there is anything you wish you had packed but didn't or packed and then wish you hadn't bothered.

MrsM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2005, 09:59 AM
packing for hospital

The only thing that I wish I had packed and didn't was my own pads. I didn't like the ones that the hospital gave me.
I packed my own gowns. I just can't deal with a hospital gown lol.
I took:

Toothbrush
Tootpaste
Shampoo and conditioner
Hairbrush
Blow dryer
Panties
Gowns
Robe
Slippers
Makeup
Comfy and loose clothes to wear home

Let me add that I never go anywhere without makeup. That's why I brought mine. But when it came time to go home, I did NOT feel like putting on makeup. And as doped up as I was, I probably would have ended up looking like Bozo the clown or Tammy Faye Baker anyway lol.
Unread 06-04-2005, 10:15 AM
packing for hospital

I knew from reading other posts that most ladies didn't use most of what they took so I packed light. I slept most of the time, didn't feel like having visitors or eating and walked a little bit so the hospital gown worked just fine for me. The only other things I brought were a hairbrush and toothbrush/paste, pillows for trip home to put under butt and seatbelt, biking shorts and t-shirt for trip home and camera. I didn't feel much like reading, listening to music or watching TV as I was doped up most of time. I wore the stretch panties and pads the hospital provided and their slippers.I had made up thank you cards ahead of time for nurses and my doctor so brought those along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2005, 10:19 AM
thank you!

Thank you for your input - I am a listmaker and a worrier - so of course I need to make a list and am worried that I will forget something "vital" or pack 8 bags I'll never need!
MrsM
Unread 06-04-2005, 10:26 AM
packing for hospital

I had no idea what I would be able to wear home from the castle....so I packed a pair of bib overalls. They were perfect--nothing rubbing up against the tummy/abdomen/incision.

isewquilts
Unread 06-04-2005, 11:59 AM
packing for hospital

The two things I found I was so glad I packed were gum and chapstick.
My mouth was so dry from all the medications and lips got really dry.
Unread 06-04-2005, 12:19 PM
packing for hospital

Hi MrsM,

I too had to read everything and make a list of what to take to the hospital, but I ended up not using most of it. You really are "busy" just with resting and sleeping! I took a couple of extra pillows and never needed them and they were in the way all the time. Just need one in the car for the ride home.

I never needed a robe, just put on another hospital gown with opening in front - had the advantage of snap up shoulders so could get in on with the IV in place - and I didn't have to wash it later. Also combined shampoo/conditioner for the wonderful first shower.

Also really helpful were eye shades and scuff slippers you can slip you feet into. I also took a battery operated radio and listened to commercial free public radio day and night. I really liked having the radio a lot.

I found all the nurses were very helpful and thoughtful - they have seen it all before and will know what you need..

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Debbie
Unread 06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
packing for hospital

I could not have survived without my chapstick, my back scratcher(pain killers make me itch) my pillow and my blankie and I used listerine breath strips because everything tasted funny after surgery. I wore home the same clothes I wore to the castle and I never cracked the book I took. I did use my CD player with my recording of gentle streams and rivers Gook luck!
Unread 06-04-2005, 04:39 PM
packing for hospital

Hi

While you are preparing for your surgery and recovery, you might want to take a look through Pre-Op Articles. You will find great articles that discuss everything from a hospital packing list, questions for your doctor, to fears. Also, I recommend reading through Checkpoints for even more topics broken down in weeks, from pre-op to post-op and beyond.

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

s

Deb
Unread 06-04-2005, 04:59 PM
packing for hospital

Thanks Deb! That is very helpful! I think I am just ready to go and get it over with!
MrsM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register