DES/heavy bleeding, ovaries and depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DES/heavy bleeding, ovaries and depression DES/heavy bleeding, ovaries and depression

Unread 04-29-2001, 01:21 PM
DES/heavy bleeding, ovaries and depression

I am 40 years old and very seriously considering a TAH/BSO. I have had all sorts of problems starting with a diagnosis of DES exposure in utero when I was 16. I have had pap tests 2 or 3 times a year since then and have can only once remember a normal pap. Most have shown dysplasia and then onto the colposcopy and usually biopsies. These have never shown anything significant. But after so many years of dysplasia and my added risk factor for squamous cell cancer from the DES, I wonder how much longer before these results get worse.
I have been having extremely heavy periods for the last 2 years, so bad I can't leave the house because I go through tampon, 2 pads and clothes. Then I will go a month with a very light period or none at all. Last summer I skipped three months and could swear I am entering the perimenapausal stage. But the perioids are back worse than ever. So many changes in skin, hair, etc. Plus hot flashes. I also have PMS. I've had my thyroid tested and that was ok.
My gyne did a pelvic ultrsaound in October which looked fine. She then did a D&C with Hysteroscopy and removed 3 polyps. No change in bleeding, so I was put on the pill which didn't help either. This didn't help, so she gave me the depo shot. This stopped the bleeding, but reeked havoc on my antidepressants which I need for a chemical imbalance. The last 2 1/2 months have been horrible with the mood swings and bouts of depression.
I found out later that women with depressive issues shouldn't take the depo shot.
Feeling absolutely horrible one day, I went to my regular doc who decided to redo the ultrasound. They found a fibroid, 2.5 cm. Not big I know, but this didn't show on the previous one 5 months ago.
My gyne had told me the next option is hysterectomy. My regular doc is strongly recommending hysterectomy do to these problems and taking the ovaries. My therapist ( a wonderful lady), also says due a TAH/ BSO which she believes will help with my moods and depression also.
I don't have problem with losing the uterus and cervix. I am wondering if taking the ovaries can help with mood and depression. Two drs said so and I see my gyn on May 10th so we can talk about all this and set up the surgery.
Oh, I also get urine dribbles when I stand up and have had a problem with my intestine popping through the vaginal wall for the last 20 years and have lower back ache and frequent pain on left side where fibroid is.

Theresa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2001, 01:36 PM
A question...

Since I am the nosey type, haha...
Did the exposure to DES give you any uterine abnormalities, such as a 'T' shaped uterus, or anything like that? I am just curious, I was born in 1972, and was exposed to DES for about 4-5 months in utero before it was banned for use in pregnant women. I was also born with a Uterine Dydelphyus, which is a complete duplication of my uterus and cervix. A double uterus is not the *typical* abnormality of DES exposure, but my mother and I can't help but wonder.
Hystersisters is a great place to come to for a lot of information. You are going to have to figure out what is right for YOU, and determine the quality of life now vs. the quality of life you may have after the hyst. Good luck to you, I wish you the best!

Ami
Unread 04-29-2001, 01:38 PM

Hi Theresa,
I too am new to this site & glad to have found it. Sounds as if your experiencing some of the problems I had before my TAH/BSO. Funny thing is once the Dr. opened me up what she found was Stage IV endometriosis. Has your Dr. at anytime suggested a "laporoscopy" (not sure of the spelling)? From what I know that's the only way they can "see" the endo.
Not sure if TAH/BSO will help with the moods - menopause sets in after that & causes it's own mood problems. Although mine have been mild.
Hope whatever decision you & Doc decide on ends up to be the right one for you.
God Bless,
Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2001, 01:41 PM

Yes, I do have the T shaped uterus. I also had lots of problems with pregnancies and miscarriages from this, but did manage to have three lovely birth children with the help of some great specialtists.
Theresa
Unread 04-29-2001, 01:45 PM

Hi Shelley,

No, she hasn't suggested a laproscopy, But I will ask her about it when I see her on the 10th.
Thanks!
Theresa
Unread 04-29-2001, 01:53 PM

Hi Theresa

Thank you for sharing with us your situation. You have come across the best website for information and encouragement.

I guess I just have one question for you...Why are you NOT having a hysterectomy? My friend, it sounds like you have been thru the wringer! You sound like you have a handle on all your body is going thru and you are being active in finding any solution. But Sweetie, when do you say enough?

I finally had my hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and if I knew I was going to feel this good...I would not have waited.

The bleeding will stop, the cramping will stop...No more laproscopies, colposcopies, D&C's, experimental medications. No more terrible (!) mood swings, fibroids. adenomyosis. No more fear of ovarian cancer, uterian cancer or cervical cancer...I realize there are still chance for other conditions to happen, but for me the plus outweighed the other risks.

All of these things I delt with too. But I could not imagine having a hyst at the age of 34. Every woman is different. I honesly didn't know what I was missing until I started feeling better! I would not leave the house. I was depressed and on anti depressants. I slept all the time from anemia (from heavy bleeding) and from not being able to leave the house without running back to the bathroom or having to clean up and change my clothing

Your incontinence can be easily taken care of by an urologist when you have your hyst too...there's another benefit.

There are so many wonderful resourses here on this site for Hormone Replacement Therapy. Which I figured couldn't be any worse than what I was currently going thru before surgery... I was right.

Well, there is my 2 cents worth. I will pray that you find your answer here among all of these beautiful women!

Much love,
Renee
Unread 04-29-2001, 01:57 PM

I'll keep praying for you! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Keep us posted.
Shelly
Unread 04-29-2001, 02:55 PM

Renee,

You are so right. What have I been waiting for? It is time I do what I need to have a better quality life. Things are only going to get worse if I don't. I am so tired of having to stay home because of bleeding or pain. I am very tired of all the tests and the fear of possible cancer. It only makes my depression worse. To not have to worry about it anymore would be so wonderful. My family also has to suffer and it's not fair to them. I realize that these problems will not just "disappear" on there own, which I guess I have been secretly hoping. When I see my gyne in a couple weeks, I will ask her about the bladder too. It would be so nice not to dribble anymore!!
I have been reading lots of posts here and have found the support for each sister to be wonderful. I can worry about the hormone jungle when the time comes. Thanks for your 2 cents worth, it has helped me feel better.

Theresa
Unread 04-29-2001, 11:06 PM
I am not a doctor...but

Dear Theresa,
I am very glad to hear that your are working with all of your doctors on your situation...and it sounds like you all are close to making a big decision. I was fortunate that, when my GYN and I decided a hysterectomy was the thing to do, I had been treated with about everything else that could be done...like you have. That helps put the insurance companies at ease (or as much at ease as they ever get).
I am 9 weeks post op and feel pretty much back to normal...only BETTER!! I still can't quite believe that a period won't sneak up on me any day now but it won't...no more bleeding, worrying, pain...it's amazing. So far, I am doing well on an Estraderm 0.05 mg patch for HRT. And counting my blessings!
Keep us posted on what you and your doctors decide! I will keep your in my thoughts and send you positive energy!
Unread 04-30-2001, 09:51 PM

Theresa, I'm glad you are feeling better about the decision. It is such a hard one and life changing too.

Keep posting and keep talking! You are in good hands here. There is so many woman that have been right where you are.

I look forward to hearing what you and your doctor decide! Hey, join us in chat if you can...I'd love to visit with ya'.

Much love,
Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register