Scheduled LAVH I am scared and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am scared and nervous I am scared and nervous

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
I am scared and nervous

I am a 35 yr old mother of 2 boys. I have fibroids and pcos and my surgery is scheduled for April 24th. My husband and I own a dairy farm and I know post op is going to be very stressful. I am going to be worried about getting spring work done and he is going to be doing everything by himself which drives me crazy.

Yesterday I went to my pre op and that is when I got scared when he talked about blood transfusions and bladder nicks etc. I know I have to do this but that doesn't make it any easier.

Does anyone know if your PCOS will get better after surgery, as of right now I am keeping my ovaries unless they look bad when he gets in there.

I have read other peoples post about bowel clense my doctor did not mention anything about that. What are the best things to do to prepare myself for this. My doctors says if everything goes well I should be back out in the barn in 3 weeks.

I guess any insight would be good I am just really nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Re: I am scared and nervous

Hi eastview welcome,

Remember to breathe. Being scared and nervous is normal and something I think we all go through. I am now a week post op and thought I felt calm and relaxed until I got the phone calls to pre-register and then set my surgery time of course this was my first surgery and I have no children.

My doc did not have me do a bowel cleanse and the only prep I had to do was to wash my navel with soap and water and then hydrogen peroxide. Follow the preop instructions given to you by your doctor if you are unsure because he didn't specifically say not to do something, ask him so you have peace of mind.

IMHO the best way to prepare yourself is to talk to your DH and sons (if they are old enough) to tell them they have to pick up your share as much as possible until the doctor says you are good to go. It will be better for the family if you are able to rest and heal properly. Get as much done around the house and barn that you can now. Plan out meals now so you don't have to be concerned with that later.

Remember doctors have to tell you all of the scary stuff that could happen, but try to stay positive. You are the mother of two boys so you are a strong woman and can do this!!
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM

Hi eastview

Being nervous and scared is normal for any surgery, but especially THIS surgery.

Not everyone has to do a bowel cleanse. It is surgery dependent, and doctor preference. If your doctor wants you to have one, he will specifically ask for it. Don't do it unless asked. Littlebutterfly is right - follow all of your doctor's dos and dont's to the letter. It is so important.

Regarding healing post-op. You need to give yourself time to heal. You only get one chance to heal right. Become the . You will have lifting restrictions - no more than 10 lbs for six weeks. You will be very exhausted - just taking a shower and getting to the couch will be an accomplishment. The rest of the family will have to pick up some work while you heal.

Good luck and many hugs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM

I also did not have to do a bowel cleanse. I did make sure to eat well and lots of water and fibre the last few days pre op. I was worried about the first BM post op. Make sure you take your time with healing post op. farms are a lot of heavy work and you will not feel up to par for a while. I was pretty much out of commission for 2 months. Pay close attention to your doctors restrictions. You DH may need to arrange for help on the farm for a few weeks.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Hello Eastview...I agree with what the other ladies suggest for you...Every lady is very different in how our bodies will heal and recover from this surgery, but most of us have needed a full 6wks time off of everything to recover and heal properly...for me i was very tired, sore and in lots of pain and swelling, and pretty much did absolutely nothiing for first two weeks other than take very short 10min walks very slowly throughout the house at intervals throughout the day, took lots of pain meds, didnt lift, pull or push anything at all..I hope you have family or friends that can help out lots and yes i sure hope you will have lots of help with your farm...In the section called hysterectomy checkpoints you find alot of info in there which will tell you exactly the do's and dont's after surgery...As well i highly recommend that you pre make loads of meals that u can freeze for your family to take out as needed...Believe me this will help you and your family greatly...I did this and its just me and my man and dog, no kids living at home with us, and i am so happy i pre made meals cuz i couldnt do a thing as i had absolutely no energy nor desire to even eat for first week so making anything was llike forget it, but into 2nd week i got my appetite back and so glad i had meals that i could just heat up and eat, as for also i couldnt lift a thing, not even a pot of water or coffee pot...so i sure hope all this helps you to plan and prepare. and yes please dont forget to look into other sections here on hystersisters as there is lots of very helpful info...Peace be with u
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM

Thank you ladies I will start freezing meals today. My boys are 17 and 10 so they are old enough that they can help. Did anyone have any nausea after there surgery? Did anyone gain or lose weight? I am new so I don't no what some of the abbr. are. Thanks for all you help.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Hi Eastview..yes i had tremendous nauseau. i have had couple of surgeries in the past and in my history of anaestetic i become very ill. so at the hospital during my surgery that put me on a IV pump full of gravol to help with the nauseausness, and when i woke up i was okay until the gravol ran out in the pump so they had to keep giving me gravol which helped so much with the nauseausness. ime 5wks post op now and i still get nauseaus so throughout my recovery ive been taking gravol...and as far as weight gain goes for me i dont think ive gained any extra. i weighed 110 pounds going into surgery and a week into post op i weighed myself and still the same, which suprised me cuz i really didnt eat hardly anything at all the first week...I still have swelly belly but its not too bad, just becomes sore and swollen at times...I hope this help..You will be thankful you premade meals believe me lol...Peace be with you
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM

I am also 35 years old. I have 3 children (5 yr old girl, 4 yr old boy, 2 yr old girl) and my surgery is also on the 24th (at 10:00 am). So I'm right there with you. You may be in the barn at 3 weeks, but you won't be able to do most chores yet without compromising your internal stitches. You won't be able to do any shoveling, raking, or lifting (vaccuming and sweeping aren't allowed until week 6.

I've been through 3 c-sections and so I do know how frustrating and inconvenient it is for me to be out of commission with a 6 week recovery. Just take care of you during that time and try your best not to feel guilty. You will be much more useful to your family at week 7 if you recover well than you will if you overdo it and have to have more work done.

Good luck.
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastview View Post
Thank you ladies I will start freezing meals today. My boys are 17 and 10 so they are old enough that they can help. Did anyone have any nausea after there surgery? Did anyone gain or lose weight? I am new so I don't no what some of the abbr. are. Thanks for all you help.
Quite a few women are nauseous post op. it's good to prepare by purchasing Dramamine before your surgery.

Here is a link to the abbreviations used on this site: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie...=abbreviations
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM

HI sweetie

Firstly i would like to say Fear comes from your thoughts.
I understand that you are nervous. The operation has to be done. I am 4 months post and I feel absolutely fantastic. I can honestly say the only thing i found unpleasant was i threw up a couple of times after the drungs wore off and once that happened it was all good. I had a Total abdominal Hysterectomy and my overies removed. People told me after a few months i would feel awesome and i do. More energy... I have lost 10 kgs after topping 94 kgs up to the surgery. I had a bit of pain when i was home recovering but nothing serious Remember to take it easy for the first couple of months. This is important. Let people do things for you. Accept help and ask for help. You will be fine.
Having a brazilian wax hurts alot more lol Good luck and we will all be thinking of you. This amazing website was such a great help to me. The doctors and nurses will be great too they have been through this many times with other women. I had a bit of lower back pain for the first two months but now I feel i can do cart wheels.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register