LSH - worried about the pain, very low pain tolerance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH - worried about the pain, very low pain tolerance LSH - worried about the pain, very low pain tolerance

Unread 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
LSH - worried about the pain, very low pain tolerance

Hi all,

I'm scheduled for a LSH on 10/7... but am a bit nervous about the pain. You see, I have a very very very low pain tolerance. I was wondering if others could share how the pain was with their LSH.

Thank you,

Audra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM

i have a high pain tolerance and to be honest with you, i found the pain from the lap gas to be painful the day of the surgery and 1 day after. i actually stayed in the hospital on morphine for 2 days. this was also my first laparoscopic surgery..i dont know if you have had one before and are familiar with the gas pain. if youre in a lot of pain, you can ask to stay in the hospital for iv pain relief. dont rush to go home if you dont feel good. after the first 2 days, the recovery was very easy. good luck with your surgery
Unread 09-07-2008, 03:06 PM

I had a LAVH a week ago. I also had a kidney repair the next day. I was on demeral (sp) since morphine makes me ill and I really didn't use the button for the drugs much (self admin). And since I've been home, I haven't taken any pain meds. And believe me, I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain.
I think it's different for everyone. A friend of mine had her surgery the same day as me and she was back to the hospital 4 days later because of the pain. Just don't stress too much about it, that's the best thing.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM

cali... if you don't mind me asking... why did you have to have a kidney repaired?

thank you for your responses dressed up and cali...

I have had 3 other laproscopic surgeries for endo... one just last year which did not help... i was living out of state and obviously the surgeon wasn't very good... i'm 40 now and my doc feels i've reached the end... i was lucky, my first one was when i was 19... my doc made it so I have two beautiful children... i would have had more if i could have...

i am just nervous... some of the articles i read said that some doctors don't even prescribe pain meds for a LSH... last year the last surgery for endo really wipped me out, and after a few days my pain meds were gone, I called for more and the doctors office placed a huge guilt trip on me and they refilled but then refused another refill...

thank you everyone
Unread 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Hi,
I'm not very pain-tolerant, but my personal experience was wonderful! I had outpatient LSH/BSO and was out of the surgical center by 2PM the day of surgery. When I first woke up I felt a tugging soreness (but honestly was more uncomfortable from the catheter). They gave me demerol, if I remember correctly, but only one dose in my IV, then within about 45 minutes I was up, dressed and walking around -- trying to urinate That was the worst it got for me. I did take one vicodin that night -- just to relax everything (especially my bladder), and sleep. After that, I never took another pain killer -- just ibuprofen for the swelling. Within two days, I only took it a couple of times a day. It really was a breeze for me -- much the same as when I had a tubal/ablation. I hope your experience is as pleasant as mine.
All the best
Unread 09-07-2008, 05:26 PM

My repair was a tear in the tube that runs from the kidney to the bladder. It was pouring urine into my stomach and that was really the only pain I had, and it was the worst I have ever had.

I hope that helps.
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:02 PM

I have NO tolerance for pain. To top that off, I cannot take pain meds. I had abdominal surgery and couldn't take pain med.

Just talk about the different options for meds with your doctor. I bet you will be fine. If you can take some medications, the nurses and doctors will try very hard to keep you as comfortable as possible.

I had pain, but every day it was better. I came home the 2nd day, only spent one night in the hospital. I could sleep best at home and hubby took great care of me.

Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register