Membership | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Membership

I just went to purchase my "Crown Jewels." I really think that when you first find this site, they way it operates should be more prominant. I've only been using it a short time, but this is the ONE place I can find all sorts of information and different experiences. I would have purchased sooner had I realized how it works.

For many years as a Le Leche League Leader, I've felt disappointment when woman come and get wonderful information and support from others and don't give back. Membership for LLL runs just like this site - on a volunteer basis. Women get mother to mother support, but are not required to purchase a membership to come to meetings, or call volunteers for information or support. Some choose to do so, others just "use" and don't contribute.

When we are presented with the opportunity to get information and support at no cost - or a "volunteer" membership, I really think that we should give for what we receive. A statement that I made to others was "although membership is not required, please consider purchasing if you feel that you've recieved the help and information you were looking for." Obviously if you didn't recieve any help or information, you wouldn't return again and again. If you are a repeat visitor to this board, or any help organization with volunteer membership, please consider supporting them. I know from experience that it is a big pat on the back to those volunteers, when you financially support the organization that means enough to them to volunteer their knowledge and support.

This is a wonderful site, and I want to thank the volunteers that run it, and the participants who share their experiences, opinions and information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 02:58 PM
In Compleate Agreement Kathryn

Kathryn...
I am in agreement with you .. I do want to buy a crown jewl. And believe me in time I will... Money right now is really tight. I haven't been married a yr yet, and my new hubby started a new job here in my home town. He was a cable splicer and moved from state to state when we met. He was working here, but then was transfered 2 1/2 hrs away from me. He was driveing here every weekend to see me. Finally we found ourselves in love and I kept my place here but went out of the state to be with him. He finally quit the job, he wanted to settle down with me. ((All of my family lives here.)) when I married him I lost my Insurance, his new job wanted $600.00 a month, we couldn't afford it. He has VA so we bought me a different policy, I have a $1,600.00 deductible . I haven't had it long and then this cancer popped up .. My Dr. had to fight with the Insurance Co to pay for this. They were screaming Pre-Existing which it wasn't .. ect. Anyway the OB/GYN wants $400.30 when I go in for my Pre-Op. I am trying to cut corners and save this up to have the surgery. Before I seen him, I was going to a clinic, they were bleeding me dry ...test after test .. But I assure after surgery, I will remain here to help others in waiting and will contribute to the Hyster Syster Forums .. I do encourage everybody to... I will try to buy one before surgery ...
Unread 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Membership

Enjoli,

There are times when people just can't contribute financially - but your wisdom gained through your experiences is also a contribution. Some day when you are in a position to give, you can.

I too am strapped financially - but not to the extent you are. I spent a few years going through a messy expensive divorce - single parenting 4 kids, and having to pay for my own private insurance too. I just got my college degree last December, and now have to pay on my student loans. On top of all that, I started two new businesses - almost as much money going out as coming in the first few months of a new business. But, that doesn't mean that I don't occassionally "splurge" and go out for a nice dinner, or buy new longerie. Since I can do that, I can also choose to forgo a night out and give here instead.

I guess when I spoke of my frustrations of those who "use" and don't give, I'm talking about people that have plenty of financial resources, or could definitely give up one night of going out to dinner and pay for a membership - or give just $5 a month until it is paid. I wasn't speaking of people that are so strapped that there is no money for anything not already carefully budgeted to pay the rent and put food on the table.

Those that can't support financially always have options to support in other ways - sharing knowledge and experience is definitely one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Membership

Please don't forget there are other ways to support the site. I purchased the Princess Package and have ordered books for post op via this site from Amazon. Altho I am not a jewel holder at this time, I do plan on it. I think it's baby steps for all of us.

What would be interesting is to do a poll of WHEN ladies became jewel holders - before or after your surgery? I think that we are so scared before our surgeries that we can only focus on it and we splurge on little things for pre and post op. I am wondering if after all is said and done, we gained our wisdom, we've shared our experieinces with our sisters, are we more apt to support the site afterward?
Unread 07-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Can't do much, but trying to help now ..

Kat ..
I read your post, I went through a nasty divorce to. We had money and allot of it. I lived in a big 45 hundred sq. ft ranch with 25 acres. I had a horse (yearling) that was worth $10,000.00 nO it's not a lie... But the man I was married to was a drunking cowpoke. (alcoholic) I stayed 3 yrs with him, I just couldn't take anymore.

I now hated this man and didn't want a red cent from him just a $75.00 divorce. (it cost me over $3,000 ... I walked out the door on March 5th 2001 and never looked back. I had surgery (Emergency Gall Bladder removal) on the 16th ... I lived with my parents for a few months recouping from all of it.

I finally got on my feet and rented a small 2 bedroom apartment. Yeah!! me in a apartment I hadn't lived in one since I was 17. But I loved it there, it was peaceful, nobody yelling at me.. and you know what?

((I have never been so happy in my own little place)).

My new hubby and I moved into a bigger apartment a couple of months ago. And were both very happy here together... Money can't buy happiness believe me...

I haven't been out dancing since last New Years .. New nities what is that? I have priorities and they come first (rent, food and bills) then if there is any left maybe dinner out ...

Yes I am haveing a tough time right now, having cervical cancer and all of the bills. But as I type I am getting out my wallet and my bank card and I am at least going to make the effort of the $5.00 a month to help support this forum. It has done wonders for me.

I will do more like I promiced after surgery. And if I only help 1 person in here it's well worth it...
Enjoli
OK now to find the store
Unread 07-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Membership

Dear HysterSisters,

When I had safely survived my surgery and recovery days, I continued to read of the new LIW's arriving here scared & looking for support. THAT's when my heart ached to think how lost they would be without HysterSisters. I remembered how scared I was in the not too distant past.

I didn't give $$ to this site til after my surgery. Only post-op hindsight made me realize how priceless this place, this gathering of kind souls, was.

I hope you will all continue to pass it on, whether it's with hugs, words of wisdom, or financial support, and keep this website free to all women who need it. Thank you, Kathryn, for starting this thread

I am sending huge cyberhugs,
Unread 07-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Membership

Ladies, I agree wholeheartedly with Twyla!!!! Many of us are so scared when we are pre, we only look for answers and support and don't realize it takes money to run a website of this magnitude. I didn't donate or buy things from the store until many weeks post op when I realized HS needs financial support to keep it going. But ladies, ANY support you can give is helpful even if it is only your experiencs or a few s Sometimes giving a much needed hug to someone is more precious than any money could ever be. But if you can support the site financially, please do it when you can.............

Emily
Unread 07-21-2003, 04:54 PM
I am trying

I went to the store on here, but I just can't swing the $25.00 yet ... I did give $5.00 I also subscribed another $5.00 to go towards my Crown Jewel. I have a payday on the 5th of Aug I may be able to swing it then .. I hope everybody can contribute at least the $5.00 to keep this forum going.
I feel so much better
Enjoli

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register