dVH/RALH Thigh swelling.... Feeling super down. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thigh swelling.... Feeling super down. Thigh swelling.... Feeling super down.

Unread 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Thigh swelling.... Feeling super down.

Hey, y'all. I am new to this site and am looking for some support as I go through this process. I am trying to deal with it gracefully but I feel like I'm failing.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis as a teen and have been treating it for years the best I could through medication and lap surgery. I finally reached a point this year when I ran out of options and a complete hysterectomy was my only option. While I have children and didn't want more, I also didn't want a hysterectomy. Who does though, right?

This week I went in and after an almost five hour surgery (I had a ton of scar tissue), the surgery was over. I'm two days post op and honestly I just feel sad. It's probably my hormones going haywire and a bunch of medication coursing through my blood, but I feel really down. My body is a mess and it's hard for me to even look at it.

I'm atheletic. I run. I run marathons. Half marathons. 10k's. Just for fun. I love to be active. My body feels like a prison right now and I don't know a lot of other ways to cope with stress but to run it out. Obviously this isn't an option now.... So I'm worried. Worried about my poor coping skills.

My belly swelling seems to be getting better but my thighs and legs are pretty swollen. It's kind of incredible how big they are! I stepped on the scale today and I am 17 pounds heavier today than I was 3 days ago when I went into the hospital. Can that be normal? Is that just fluid? I'm not really in terrible pain, surprisingly. I'm taking motrin mostly, and not really needing much else.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from you. I love my family but I live with my husband and 3 sons. They cannot really understand what I'm going through right now. They love me and support me, but I think this situation is uniquely female.

Xo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Re: Thigh swelling.... Feeling super down.

Hey there-- I think a lot of that must be fluid. They pump you full with the iv's. It will probably take a little time for that to go away. I gained sevreal pounds with surgery too. I am sure running is not an option, but how about walking? That should get your blood flowing and move some of that fluid along. You will be fine! Do you still have your ovaries? Are you on HRT? I think you are right about hormones affecting your mood. If it doesn't get better, call your doc and explain how you feel. Could be something that will just take a little time, or perhaps your doc can prescribe or adjust meds/hormones that may help. Sending hugs your way.
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM

I'm sorry you're having a hard time post op. So many women do. From what I've observed, women who are very active who are then forced to lie around and rest all day have a harder time with recovery. It's too much time to think and nothing to do that interests you. But you can get through it! You just need some new coping skills. I've always found that when I'm stressed or have too many thoughts, especially unpleasant thoughts, swirling around in my head I feel better if I write it all down. Then when I read it I realize it's not as bad as I thought. I tend to magnify things in my mind. Anyway, journaling might help you, too.

Now is definitely the time to start watching Downton Abbey or Lost. Or find some new blogs that interest you. Get a Pinterest account!

And about your swelling...we're all dealing with it to different degrees. You know you haven't gained 17 lbs. It's not possible. Your body is just holding on to fluid right now. You can help it to let go by drinking plenty of water.
Hang in there. It's gonna get better.

I'll post a link to the Recovery Progress Report thread for all the sisters that had their surgery the same week as you. It has been SO helpful to me to follow along with other women who had similar experiences and around the same time, too. You'll see that what you're going through is very common.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=507813
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM

hi, hoopla:
thanks for your kind response. no, i don't have my ovaries. i don't have anything. i had a total hysterectomy, including the ovaries, so nope... there's nothing left in there. i will start HRT, but the doctor would like to wait a month so there is no risk of developing blood clots. i have to admit this is adding to my sort of panic. i was on lupron for a few months, and i remember the hell that was, and i am in no hurry to recreate that situation.

i think you are right about the fluid retention. i will just make a point to get up and walk around a few times during the day. i feel like that is a good way to keep myself from going nuts!

thanks again.... this too shall pass, right?
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:31 AM

hi, petit:
i like the idea of journaling. i think it would be good. it would give me some perspective when i finally get past this point. i appreciate your help. i've been trying to just let myself go with the flow and sort of just submit to the process... but it is hard. i wish i had more control over how much better i felt and WHEN.

i have a couple of seasons of dexter to get through and then i will see where i am....

thanks for posting the link. i think it would be great to see other women who are in the same place i am. i have no idea what to expect, and since i am the only person i know who is going through this, it's difficult to talk to anyone about it. i appreciate your guidance.

xo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register