Anyone had it under local anesthesia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had it under local anesthesia? Anyone had it under local anesthesia?

Unread 04-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Anyone had it under local anesthesia?

I would like to avoid going under general anesthesia if I can and I was wondering how the risks between a "epidural spinal anesthesia" differs from being put to sleep? Anyone here had it with local anesthesia?
Were you able to walk properly because I was told everything below the belt gets affected if done this way.
The thing with general anesthesia is when I had another unrelated surgery after I woke up I actually sensed the anesthesia (until it went away from my system) in terms of taste and smell as well as throwing up a couple of times during the first two days of surgery, so I am highly sensitive.

My doctor mentioned the epidural method and I am just wondering if this makes a difference in the method of hysterectomy? For example, I was told that I am going to have the least invasive robotic kind. From what I understand there will be tiny incisions and this is just the robot mimicking the surgeon's moves and a laparoscope will not be inserted inside me nor will he touch the vaginal hole externally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Re: Anyone had it under local anesthesia?

A hysterectomy cannot be done under local anesthesia, but there are options besides general anesthesia depending on the type of hysterectomy, your specific circumstances, and surgeon and anesthesiologist preferences.

In our Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles, there are several articles which discuss anesthesia which you might find helpful.

s
Unread 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM

For my hysterectomy I was offered an epidural along with twilight sedation, but I declined. The thought of being awake in the lithotomy position while my uterus was removed vaginally did not appeal to me. I'm also sensitive to anesthesia and in the past have spent 24 hours vomiting after having it. I let my anesthesiologist know and he used a different medication and also gave me anti-nausea meds. I had absolutely no problems.

Wishing you the best!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2015, 02:32 PM

A general would much more pleasant, by far. Part of the anesthetic is a gas and its normal to smell/taste it afterwards as it remains in your tissues for a little while. The nausea is also a normal (while uncomfortable!) part of anesthesia. Like someone said above, let your anesthesia provider know before hand and they can give you a different/stronger anti-nausea medicine. The spinal can last from 3-12 hrs or longer depending on what med they use, and you won't be able to walk or have good bowl/bladder control during that time. Once it wears off you should be back to normal, function-wise.

The main reasons I say general is best is that the positioning is uncomfortable (physically and its an emotionally distressing thought to be exposed like that) and even with a twilight and epidural sometimes you're awake enough to hear whats going on in the room, which would be scary and weird.... to me anyways. They also do all kinds of awkward (but necessary) stuff, like inserting urinary catheters, removing your gown and prepping you with surgical scrub, changing/removing your clothes, and positioning you. It's all normal, necessary stuff, but I wouldn't want to be awake for it. Plus you would have to suffer through whatever weird music your surgeon picks

Good luck on whatever decision you make!
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:50 PM

I had an epidural anaesthesia in my first attempt to repair my vesicovaginal fistula exactly one month after the hysterectomy which was performed under general anaesthesia. It was absolutely horrible having to lay there for three whole hours while someone cuts your guts open. I had at least three panic attacks and asked to be sedated for as long as I could until this nightmare was over. From my experience and after 4 abdominal surgeries in less than a year, I strongly reccomend general anaesthesia.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register