Going Back To Work To Soon???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Back To Work To Soon???? Going Back To Work To Soon????

Unread 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Going Back To Work To Soon????

Hi Ladies,
Here goes, I will be having TVH on March 31st 2008 with one nights stay in the hospital. I am having to use my vacation time instead of short term disability because there is a waiting period of 6 months for that with my insurance. I had been working temp for about 5 months and got hired on in December and got insurance in February. I would rather not put my surgery off until August. I have a prolapsed uterus. Anyway, I have decided that no matter what I am going back at two weeks post op as I really have no choice, I will have used up all my vacation time for the year. Now here is where is gets tricky. My husband is disabled and may need brain surgery, we will know for sure this Wednesday what the doctor wants to do with him. Question, I know I will need to discuss with my doctor but I just wanted some opinions. So that I can be with my husband if/when he needs me.... Does anyone think it is possible for me to have my surgery on the 31st and return to work on the 7th of April. even if just part time for that week? I have a desk job and I would be able to get up as needed to walk. Sorry so long. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm having a LAVH on the 24th, and plan on returning to work on the 31st. My boss is skeptical. But I spoke with my dr and she saw no problem with me returning so soon. I only plan 2 to 3.5 hours per day, and I already have a ride to and from work until I am able to drive myself.
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM

cool. Ty for your reply. I can get a ride as well. I work 4 nine hours shifts and one half day. I just cant afford to use up all my time off at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Sarah,

The best advise I can give you is to wait and see what your DH's doctor needs to do for him. You may be able to return to work part-time after a week, but you won't be completely healed for about 6 months. You get only 1 chance to heal properly. Getting up and walking around will not be a problem. You really need to be able to recline and rest. Please be sure to discuss your plans with your doctor.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM

no one really knows until after the surgery how quick they will recover. have you looked into a less invasive type of surgery with a quicker recovery? i hope it all works out for you
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Thank you all. I will keep you posted I am sure I am freakin out for nothing. I know everything will work out.

Unread 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Before you make a final decision, please read the article in post-op about doing too much. What you really don't want to do is develop adhesions that would require more surgery--maybe even emergency surgery.
I have to say that I had a SAH, and I am nervous about going back to a desk job at 7 weeks, because I still get exhausted and need naps. Its a real shock to the system. I was really surprised at how much I was in pain, how little I could do, and how tired I was.
Does your doctor think you could wait until August?
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Thank you all. I will keep you posted I am sure I am freakin out for nothing. I know everything will work out.

Unread 03-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I don't think you're freaking out over "nothing" -- far from it. You have so much going on right now, what with the uncertainty of your dh's situation along with your impending surgery.

As the others have said, there's no hard-and-fast "rule" for recovery. I would say, however, that it is ambitious to expect to be able to return to work -- even part-time -- at just one week post-op. I wasn't even off antibiotics at that point! Even though a TVH doesn't involve an external incision, it is essentially the same recovery as a TAH. There are just as many internal stitches (because the same organs are removed) -- just no incision to remind yourself that you've just had major surgery.

I certainly understand the financial constraints you're under, but could easily find yourself under even more if you end up having complications and other setbacks by trying to do too much too soon.

I wish I had the ability to look in the future and see what it holds for you, but I just can't. Please keep us informed as to what the doctor says, OK? And I hope things work out for your DH, too.
Unread 03-18-2008, 06:59 AM

It's really hard to tell what you'll feel up to post surgery, and you certainly have a lot on your mind between your situation and your husbands.

I can tell you that about 5 days post-op I was back to working part time hours at my desk after my TVH. I was able to put in a couple hours from bed too. However, I work from home and didn't have a commute of any sort to contend with. It took me about 3 weeks until I was able to be out of the house for any length of time without it completely exhausting me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register