Concerned about gas, earrings, etc. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about gas, earrings, etc. Concerned about gas, earrings, etc.

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Concerned about gas, earrings, etc.

Now I am wondering about gas....to distend abdomen for E-Z access, position I'll be in and if I can wear earrings that have never been out of my ears in 30+ years and are soldeed on the back to prevent loss. Wonder who I'd talk to about that? Gyno said ask at pre-op testing. Don't want to wait and cancel at the last second. Have been too superstitious about 'em. Maybe put bandaids over to prevent "loss"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Re: It just doesn't seem fair....venting

I would ask the pre-op nurse about the bandaids, I think that should be fine. I work in the medical field, and I think they might let you do that...not sure though.
Unread 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the positive note re: earrings. I JUST CANNOT tell them that I believe I will die in surgery if I have to take them out. I have been able to have panoramic xrays done, MRI and CAT scan w/ 'em in. I just don't want to look like more of a nut case than I am... So I have tried to be so calm, intelligent,unemotional and collected so as to be taken as a rational individual. I do not want to have a meltdown while in a hospital gown on a gurney going in.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM

These two snow days have made it possible for me to be able to spend unlimited time w/ HysterSisters. What a beautiful gift...at 15 days pre-op. So many questions answered, so many supportive responses and I feel like I am not alone any longer. HUGS to all. I am determined to make it.
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM

When I had my surgery I was unprepared for the emotions. I did not feel I should trouble the doctor with my fears. I was wrong. After the fact I was a mess, ask the doctor or their nurse anything about the surgery, from positoning, earings, personal in attendance, pain mangement. Be prepared and some of the fear will be eased.
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM

I had my earrings in as I forgot to take them out, they said they would and did tape them as to take them out was a sure loss. The nurses and anethesiologists have heard it all, don't feel worried.
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks so much for your information and reassuring words. I had not spelled "soldered" correctly and that could be misinterpreted. The earrings (very small hoops) were touched w/ a soldering iron where they hook and they will not come out (30+ yrs)...they'd have to be cut off w/ a wire cutter. My gyno said it would be ok w/ her but to ask when I got to the hospital. Feel somewhat better.
Unread 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Re: Concerned about gas, earrings, etc.

Hi mmv22249

I'm so glad you asked your doctor about this so it doesn't have to be so much of a worry to you. The earrings have been with you for a long time, and I would be very distraught at the idea of having them removed.

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM

I just realized...I have had them in for 30+ years- half my life. I traded my wedding ring-after a devastating divorce- for the earrings.....they represent my new life as an independent woman. What a journey it has been!
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM

They were able to leave my stud earrings in during an emergency surgery at one hospital, they even had the IV in my neck & the studs didn't interfere 'cause they were small enough. For MRI they had to be removed since I couldn't prove they weren't magnetized. For elective surgeries they asked me to remove them because they used monitoring probes on my neck or on my earlobe. The surgeon won't care but the anesthesiologist is in charge of where those monitors are placed- talk to them & impress upon them that it's a very big deal that the earrings stay in & they should be able to come up with alternatives.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register