Scheduled TLH Any information for my op would be great | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any information for my op would be great Any information for my op would be great

Unread 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Any information for my op would be great

Hi all I'm due to have a TLH on Tuesday , I'm feeling very nervous and unsure of what's to come before and after my op , any tips would be great x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Re: Any information for my op would be great

It is totally natural to have lots of questions so feel free to ask them. Someone here will know the answer for you. First off, after the surgery, you will be very tired and not feel like doing very much. You are going to want to just take it easy. I would have things to read or crosswords for when you are awake. I know that for me I would be awake for a few minutes but then fall asleep. I had to make sure I drank lots of water to help keep my bowels moving and also that I kept moving so that I also would not be so constipated. I would make sure that you have nice loose comfortable clothes to wear when you get home.
One thing I wasn't prepared for was for the gas pains. Gas X helped a lot so I would definitely have some of that available. I also had problems with constipation so made sure that I asked my doctor about that before leaving the hospital as I had problems in the hospital also. I have problems anyhow before the surgery. Hope this helps some.
Unread 07-16-2015, 08:30 PM

prepare your home ahead of time and have people ready to help you after.. don't worry about cleaning ( no vacuuming or lifting after ! ) and get help with meals, kids, laundry etc. Pack a back scratcher.. it saved me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Any information for my op would be great

Thank you very much , advice taken on bord , Iv got my house ready and quiet lucky to have good support when I get home , my problems my come as I'm so active n need everything just so in my house , the mess gonna drive me crazy lol
Unread 07-18-2015, 05:40 AM

Here's the deal. As you heal from this surgery, you are going to have to pretend that you have a blindfold on your eyes so that can't see anything!! Pretend you can't see it, you don't see it. Because if you try to bend to fix it, try to sweep it, clean it etc, you will be back in the hospital!! To do any of those things uses your abdominal muscles and those are the muscles that the doctors don't want you using.. So just practice now. It can be hard but believe me you don't want to be in the hospital. You just don't realize how many things you do that require using your abdominal muscles and that is why your doctor will tell you no vacuuming, sweeping, driving, bending, picking up things from the floor, stooping, etc for weeks after your surgery. And you won't want to do it anyhow. It will hurt.
Unread 07-18-2015, 05:51 AM

Hiya! I had my LAVH three weeks ago and if there is one thing I can tell you from the other side, surgery is nowhere near as bad as I imagined it would be. The thought of surgery is very scary, however before surgery is so much worse than afterwards. Sure it is uncomfortable afterwards, but the medical professionals do an amazing job to ensure you are not in real pain.

I was given some Tena brand post surgery underwear and if you can, keep them and take them home with you and just keep washing and reusing them. They don't bind over incisions, are super soft and comfortable to wear and I am still blissfully using mine. When I was given them I laughed they looked so, erm, unattractive, they look like strange wrinkled boxer shorts! But for comfort you can't bet them post surgery, I have still not been able to get into regular undies as the incision sites are still pretty sore. Love those Tena undies

Take a small pillow too, I like to sleep on my side and it is really uncomfortable to do so after surgery but if you lie on your back and wedge a small pillow level with your belly and then roll onto it so it supports the side of your belly, it is quite comfortable.

Afterwards.........REST, REST AND MORE REST!

Very best of luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register