Blood In Urine - UTI - Anyone Else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood In Urine - UTI - Anyone Else? Blood In Urine - UTI - Anyone Else?

Unread 03-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Blood In Urine - UTI - Anyone Else?

Hello Ladies -

8 weeks post-op. Had a check up today. Was feeling tired, alittle crampy with stinging and burning while I was going to the bathroom. We did a urine sample last week and it showed blood in urine and had a 5 day antibiotic. Today I had a internal check to see if I was maybe bleeding from cuff, but everything looked ok, but still blood. So we took another urine sample, and it again showed blood in my urine. First culture came back contaminated, and now going to send this out for a culture to see what happens. And now put on another Anitbiotic(Cipro) for 3 days.

So, I have blood coming from somewhere and have to figure it out. My doctor said, if this does not clear up, to maybe send me to a Urologist.

Anyone had this problem before? Other than maybe a infection going on, my progress with the surgery has been really for the most part gone well. A few ups and downs, but I have done better than I expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM

Sonya,

I wish I had some magic words that would give you the answers you need, so I'm sending lots of gentle s! I hope the Cipro works for you and all of this will be behind you soon!

s, Deb
Unread 03-02-2006, 11:03 AM

Sonya,

I too had blood in my urine off and on. Actually clots too. But, I had a stent in my ureter and a catheter for a long time. I had 3 courses of antibiotics to lose a uti. It was a tough one. Tried Cipro twice and didn't work; eventually had to go to Nitro-something, can't remember the name. It was cleared up in no time. If you don't have results in 3 days, let your doc know and try something else. Oh, I still have some cramping when peeing and an achey feeling after, but doc says this is from my repairs. Hope you re feeling better soon.

Mar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2006, 05:45 PM

KingDuncan

Did you have any side effects using cipro and also did you stay with your gyno or did you go see a urologist for this.
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:39 PM

I had blood in my urine several times in the weeks after my LAVH....kept going on antibiotics (dr found "just a little" bacteria)...after several weeks of this, I had some really awful, nauseating pain in my side. It turns out the blood in my urine was from kidney stones! Just an FYI...blood in the urine has several causes. It may not be a UTI at all!

isewquilts
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:41 PM

when I had my hys, I ended up with a uti,boy was I burning down there,I had all kinds of yeast problems for a long while. I ended up taking acidophulos to help my immune system bring on the friendly bacteria, drank tons of water cranberry too much sugar anyway, the prescription he gave me at the time dont remember, long ago over 2 yrs. Acidophulos can really hlp your immune system, especially when your susceptable to uti. good luck
Unread 03-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Tweetie,

At first I thought the antibiotic was bothering my tummy, but I don't think it was. I was just taking so many things, my poor stomach couldn't handle it all. I didn't really have any other side effects other than my urine did seem to smell a bit funny (tmi)!

I already had a uro because of the repairs that I needed, so he phoned in the script for me, but my gyn said she could have done it too. So, phone the gyn first and see what they say. Also, my g.p. said he would do it for me. So, I really had it covered! LOL Good luck and I hope you're on the mend.

Mar
Unread 03-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Taking Cipro for 3 days at 250mgs each. Twice a day. I have my first day behind me, and I have to say I feel alittle nausea, and dizzy. I guess this is some of the side affects. But still some burning and stinging. I want to finish my next two days and see what happens. Taking Cipro and waiting for the culture to come back. Should know about the culture Monday and Saturday will be done with the antibiotic. If nothing changes by Monday, I am sure my doctor will figuring out something for me. I am just concerned about if it is really a UTI or something else going on. That is why I have the Sisters if anyone has had this problem.

Thanks so much for the responses.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register