How Much can everyone lift? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Much can everyone lift? How Much can everyone lift?

Unread 04-29-2007, 07:08 AM
How Much can everyone lift?

My dr originally stated nothing over 5lbs. I'm almost 3weeks out now and have no idea what I should not be lifting for weight. At my 2wk checkup she said I was all set- didn't need to see her again, but remember to take it easy and not lift, do heavy housework, etc. So what have you ladies been told?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Good Morning,
I was told by my dr nothing over 10lbs for 6 weeks.
Best wishes to you.
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:38 AM

suzettenicholas

If you'd like to have a look at Post-Op Checkpoints Weeks 3-4 this will give you some very useful info and also mentions lifting.

It's good you're continuing to be careful and are taking it easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2007, 07:54 AM

I'm almost 5 weeks post-op from a TVH without complications of any kind and at 4 week check-up, doc gave me the all clear - no physical restrictions! I was surprised. I asked him about pushing the grocery cart, carrying the laundry basket, lifting and such and he said "your body will tell you..." Well, he couldn't have been more right. At this point, I can push, carry and lift, but when something's too heavy or I've been pushing/hauling too long, TUG TUG. When I feel that, I put it down or hand it to DH/DK. Example - we went to Lowes' home store -- I pushed the cart while he loaded up on electrical stuff, small tools, etc. But when he threw in the 5 gallon bucket of drywall compound, I felt it immediately and handed him the cart. I did NOTHING for my 4 weeks and doc said I was healing beautifully. You had a different surgery, so your doc may stick with the 6 week rule. Good luck!
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:57 AM

I was told nothing over 5 lbs when i left the hospital. I see the doctor in a little over a week for my 2 week and then it will probably be upped. I dont intend to do anything requiring heavy lifting till about 6 weeks out. Its funny though, when i carry a small load of laundry down it feels so light but when i take out the OJ from the frig it feels heavier to me.
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:31 AM

A good rule of thumb....if you can't lift it with 1 hand...don't lift it. I overdid it and now I'm on a 6 month lifting restriction.

Best wishes

Wendy
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:19 AM

Nothing over 10 pounds for 6 weeks for me.
Since I'm alone though, I do things in small increments. Run small loads in the dishwasher, top rack only. Small laundry loads. Yes, it wastes water, but you have to adapt to challenges and work out a solution.
The thing I can't do is take out the used cat litter, that's when I call on my helpers.
I did a load of laundry and a load of dishes this morning, and it's only day 5 of post-op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register