pre-op nerves! (pelvic reconstruction & hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op nerves! (pelvic reconstruction & hysterectomy) pre-op nerves! (pelvic reconstruction & hysterectomy)

Unread 07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
pre-op nerves! (pelvic reconstruction & hysterectomy)

Hi all,
My 2nd opinion referred me to a urogynecologist, who said I definately need pelvic reconstruction & hysterectomy. I just went in for all the urodynamics yesterday, now I am just waiting on a surgery date. Has anyone else gone through cystocele repair, rectocele repair, bladder suspension, and hysterectomy all at the same time? I'm scared I will be in a lot of pain. Any advice you'd like to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Welcome to HysterSisters! I understand your nerves. You sound quite normal! I didn't have any repairs done when I had my TVH but there are many women here who have been through it or are getting ready for it. You aren't alone. I hope someone will stop by and give you some words of wisdom soon.

Hang in there and make yourself at home!

s, Deb
Unread 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM

I had all done at the same time. Came home from hospital after 2 days with pain meds. Weened myself off of them day 3 of post op. Not much pain just an uncomfortable feeling. Went back to work 4 weeks after post op. I just did not over do anything and still continue to not over do.
Do you have specific questions? Just ask....there are several hystersisters that had everthing done at the same time and we'll be glad to answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 09:55 PM

I am really nervous... I have a surgery date now, September 26th. My surgeon said the rectal repair is the most painful part of the whole thing, was that your experience? I am currently doing a Pilates program to strengthen and also losing 10 pounds. Is there anything else I should be doing to get myself ready for surgery?
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Hi. I will be undergoing essentially the same surgeries as you, mine is for multiple prolapses. We are scheduled for the same date, too. Good for you in taking a proactive approach to readying your body with exercise! I'm trying to quit smoking for mine. I, too am nervous. I'll have a 5lb weight restriction for 8 weeks, then a 20 lb restriction for 12 weeks after that. Have your Dr.s let you know of your restrictions yet?
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM

I am right there with you ladies, but one week earlier.

I read something about an episiotomy type incision due to all the reconstruction we will be under, but have not talked to my doc yet about that-- my pre-op is Monday.

I am scared as heck also that the recovery will be worse. I have 6 weeks off work and need my tonsils out too, so that will be two weeks after the hyst. I may be a glutton for punishment, but don't have many other choices. If I wait until later my whole medical leave will be miserable. I'd like to have at least a week or two of feeling halfway normal before going back to work.
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM

It is so nice to know I am not alone in this! I haven't been for my preop appt yet, it is scheulded for Sept. 16th. I have my preop clearance scheduled with my PCP on Aug 28th for my EKG & labs. I have a little notebook I am writing my questions in to ask the Dr. at my preop. I turned in my FMLA paperwork today, my boss lovingly approved my 6 weeks off. She told me since I'm getting a nip and tuck, I should get a boob job and a face lift too. I just laughed and said no thanks. She cracks me up! I can't believe I've having all this done and I'm not even 40 yet!
Unread 08-15-2008, 05:51 AM

Yep, I am only 36, but I held on to my organs the longest in my family. I have two sisters who had hysters at age 35.
Unread 08-16-2008, 05:54 PM

I'm 44 and my surgery is scheduled for Sept 30. I'm having the bladder sling, possible repairs and tah.
I'm nervous, anxious but I still have a peace about it. Well, most of the time.
I'm concerned about the pain afterwards. I don't want to be dependant on the pain meds.
Unread 08-16-2008, 07:34 PM

Hi all! I had all of these things done on July 22. LAVH, both ovaries removed, anterior& posterior repairs, and after re-reading my surgery report yesterday a u or v shaped area from a 4 cm tear that did not heal properly from having my last child 26 years ago was fixed. As far as pain goes I have done quite well. I was able to take only 800 mg Motrin for the first week. I came home the day after surgery after my catherter was taken out. Laying and or standing has been much easier than sitting... you might want to invest in a donut pillow if you will have to be sitting very much..... also drink plenty of water before and after surgery....... My Dr. had me take Colace and Metimusel 2 times a day for 3 weeks....... Ask about taking baths..... when my Dr. let me start it really helps to soak in one......That was after 2 weeks...... The biggest problem I had was the anixiety of waiting...... I made sure I was first on the list for surgery (I had to be at the castle at 6:15am ) . Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register