Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient

Unread 08-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient

I'm having a hysterectomy done on the 27th of this month and found out its an outpatient procedure. My doc said he is going to do it laproscopic and going to only remove my uterus. I've had 3 c-sections and worry about coming home right after I've had such a major surgery. Can someone give me some reassurance or just some insite on all this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Re: Nervous about surgery being done as outpatient

I had my lavh on July 28th and I have had 2 c-sections and a hernia surgery. I stayed in the hospital one night and was worried about coming home so soon. I have 2 sons, ages 22 and 19.The 19 year old is all about me me me (meaning him ). He's no help.My 22 year old is,but is also busy with work. My husband is amazing.He took 8 days off with the family medical leave (unpaid of course) and helped a lot. I felt like I had a bodyguard but in a good-Kevin Costner kind of way if you get my attempt at humor.Today is my 3 week mark and I am doing pretty good. I still get very tired and it hurts to bend down,it seems I drop everything ! I am concerned about going back to work after the 6-weeks.My doctor told me I will be ready but I do a lot of lifting and get no breaks.I am a cook for 300 elementary kids and have no help putting deliveries from Gordons away or lifting heavy trays of food and crates of milk and am on my feet ALL day. I told my doctor my concerns but he said he can't keep me on medical any longer because it was a LAVH. My boss-who is a jerk-keeps bugging me about getting my kitchen at school ready.I'm on medical leave,not just summer break for petes sake. Anyway,sorry,guess I needed to vent to someone without a penis.Hang in there bumpbump 38. I'm 51 and like I said,I feel good but still get very tired.Get lots of rest,don't lift anything and use a small tummy pillow for the car and around the house.That helped alot,especially when sneezing,YOW ! Let me know how you are doing.
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:57 AM

They are doing mine as outpatient and that makes me soooo nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2010, 07:12 AM

My daVinci procedure was labeled 'outpatient' on the hospital bill but I stayed in the hospital overnight. My surgery was in the morning and I did not get until my own room until about 3pm orso. I left the next day around 2pm which was less than 24 hours and that is called outpatient. This was enough time for me, even with vomiting several times both the day of the surgery and the day after. I did not do well with prescription pain meds and they made me sick at home too. My husband took time off through FMLA (3 days) and a weekend to take care of me at home. The next two weeks I spent mostly on the sofa and that was ok. I have had two c-sections and this hysterectomy was much easier to recover from in comparison.
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM

I had LAVH, and I thought I wanted to stay overnight for various reasons. My doc said I could but that I don't want to be on the floor/ward because that's where all the hospital infections are. So we decided going home was the way to go. I felt so good going home. Virtually no pain. Plus in hospital you don't get any sleep because they wake you constantly for vitals.
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:17 AM

If they send you home with the proper pain management medication you will be fine. I had the same surgery, only my cervix was removed and while I stayed overnight, I could have gone home too - nothing in the hospital could not have happened at home.

Take care and let us know how you are doing!!!
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM

One thing to remember, outpatient simply means you are not admitted to a room longer than 23 hours. So once surgery is over and you are moved from recovery to a room, the clock starts ticking. While you may go home the same day if you have surgery in the morning, you may also stay over night.

My last surgery was outpatient but an overnight stay was part of the plan from the beginning.

Rest assured, your doctor will not release you if it is not safe to do so!

Sending best wishes your way!
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Not only do they wake you for vitals, I was awoken at 2:30am and asked if I wanted to be shown how to use that breathing machine that expands your lungs. I'm like, uh, no - later. And then of course I could not get back to sleep. You certainly get more rest at home. Just let your kids see how out of it you are. Play it up if you have to. Show them your swollen stomach. I just got home yesterday - surgery 2 days ago - and the worst is the gas and swellling (da Vinci).
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM

I stayed overnight. I wanted outpatient and my doctor said no way. She's a little over protective. She said because I was having everything removed she wanted to stay. My surgery was 8 am and I went home the next day at 2 pm. I was so glad to be home. My nurses where great but I still wanted to be in my own bed.
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks for all your support. Will keep everyone posted on my surgery details.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register