TAH The First Sneeze! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The First Sneeze! The First Sneeze!

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
The First Sneeze!

I'm 2 weeks post op today and up to now I've been able to avoid coughing (mostly by taking a drink at the slightest start of a cough to ease the tickle). I unfortunately have not been so lucky with laughing! Although I'm crabby and worn out most of the time, my husband is silly and makes me laugh without trying - about 1 week post op I was laugh-screaming (as I call it, because of the pain) and I could feel nerves? ligaments? tearing from my groin to an inch down the muscle of my inner right thigh. It's been a horrible source of pain when rolling over or doing anything that uses my lower abdomen by mistake.
Tonight I started to sneeze (I have no idea how I haven't sneezed for 2 weeks!) and suppressed it, then another at supper that I let fly - I half expected it, so I was able to tone it down (still managed to sneeze my food all over the table!).
Just a half hour ago in bed, a FULL-ON sneeze came out and I wasn't prepared I screamed as my belly muscles and inner thigh 'tore'. Now my belly (halfway between my incision and belly button) is so angry with me and I can't ease it. It's pulling and hurting when I move my left leg. I don't have any prescription meds left so will have to try ice or heat and Tylenol.
Ugh, more of this one step forward and two steps back!
I'm happy to not have a cold right now because I can't even blow my nose without pain. I feel for you ladies who do!!
So, should I use heat or cold? And should I massage the areas? I have with my groin/thigh because there was no surgery there but not sure if I should with my belly. The pain is about an inch deep, right up to the surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Re: The First Sneeze!

I remember we my first cough and my first sneeze WOW i thought my insides were going to land on the floor. so while i was in hospital, My nurse (male mind you, the female ones neglected or forgot to share that little treasure) in the hospital told me to hold a pillow over my abdomine. Now my pillow is like my best friend and comes everywhere with me. He was right it does take some of the impact from coughing and sneezing. Also I have been told to put a hot wheat bag over the area (not a hot water bottle). I am interest also to know if this is correct as I am really sore.
Thanks
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM

I have a Magic Bag (a microwaveable bag with buckwheat inside) and I usually take it to bed on my belly but I've had 2 nights in a row of sheets drenched with sweat then waking up freezing - it's not the bag, just my body and hormones, but the bag definitely isn't helping me temperature wise . So I'll have to wait til morning and hope that I can fall asleep with the belly hurting. It's 2am, I ought to be conked out! But insomnia is another effect of the hormones. I just keep telling myself that I'm 34 and getting the TAH means I'm avoiding the next 20 years of endometriosis pain, but the current pain makes me forget it sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

I also find the pillow makes me feel hot as well. I start on top of the bed and my husband is under the blankets. I completely understand the not sleeping thing. I took to starting in the bed and then end up moving to the lounge about 3am. Otherwise I keep him awake tossing and turning a dmoaning every time I move. 😕We will get there surely.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM

I'm heading to the couch now, for my own sanity . My husband is crowding me and I'm liable to shove him off the bed if he squishes me anymore - though that would definitely be lifting more than 10lbs .
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM

Understand completely. ��
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
The First Sneeze!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am 5 weeks post op and I sneezed twice the other day and it felt like something ripped on the inside. It feels like a setback because my stomach actually had stopped hurting so much.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Sometimes if you push your nostrils up like a piggy face it will stop the sneeze from coming. Doesn't work every time but sometimes it does. Of course you will look funny and then laugh again soooo.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM

I know how you feel.

I was a crazy laughing hyena for the first week. Probably due to the meds, but every little thing would make me laugh so hard I was in tears from laughing, and then in tears because of the pain. Once I stopped taking the Rx pain meds, my silly laughing fits stopped too.

I've had a few sneezes, and they're just as painful.

I don't have my 6 week check up until July 12, so I'm hoping everything is still intact inside.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:14 AM

I am 3 weeks post op from my partial davinci hyst. I was having a steady pulling pain in my lower left belly area that I was fine with. However, I sneezed while trying to stand so, I was not ready for it, it dropped me on the couch screaming in pain. It felt like something just ripped inside. Since then I have had severe pain in my lower left belly area. My dr. Didn't really even address it yesterday even though the act of moving in his office cause severe pain and brought tears to my eyes right in front of him. He helped me get up and gave me a scrip for pain meds. He said its "normal you're still healing" well let me tell you... It doesn't feel normal. When I stand, sit, move to fast, lift my left leg to high, cough, sneeze, stretch... It sends stabbing breath taking screaming pain. My belly is sore sore it hurts to touch that area even slighty kinda like a bruise but it's not. Oh and I still have swelly belly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register