A question and one for Trish | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question and one for Trish A question and one for Trish

Unread 12-27-2000, 08:30 PM
A question and one for Trish

Hi all,

I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend of mine who has some problems, she is trying to convince a doc for a hyster, but....not much luck so far.

She has really bad bleeding, clots the size of dinner plates etc and is anemic. In an effort to slow the bleeding down, the doc has given her Provera (20mg) per day to stop it. She has had a bad reaction in the form of a very high fever, just burning up all over.

Could this be a reaction to the level of Provera?

Trish, how would this amount of Provera stop the endless bleeding.

((hugs and peace to you all)))

Z

ps.Good news my end, my hrt is working well and Im feeling terrific, its now been 9 months since the hyster, and no signs of endo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2000, 09:01 PM

Zahira, I had the level of bleeding your friend had and the Dr. prescribed me provera as well. The first bleeding episode I had, the provera worked as it does in about 90% of cases. I would have your friend call the Dr. about the fever, though. It could be various things including a uterine infection that could get serious quickly.

Hope this helps,

Unread 01-02-2001, 07:27 PM

I think Susan's right that any fever should be checked with the doctor. And uterine infections could be really bad. But weirdly enough fever is listed as a standard adverse reaction to Provera! Go figure.

The doctor (doctors, since yours did this too, Susan ) must have thought that the Provera would mimic the high levels of progesterone during pregnancy and hold the uterine lining in place, especially if she's taking it every day. I wouldn't think that would be a long-term solution, just a way to slow things down so she could recover. Maybe birth control pills would slow down the whole cycle, but at some point she would have to cycle again.

How's your friend doing, zahira? I was out of town, so I know this post is a few days old. Did she ask the doctor about the fever?

I'm so glad that you're feeling great, zahira! I was worried when I saw your name. I like familiar faces, but I'm sorry when I find them hiding under a large palm frond, trapped in some swampy mess back in the Jungle. Much nicer when they stroll in and say hi! (or maybe just ride by on the Jungle Cruise)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register