Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great! Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

Unread 10-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Re: Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichonese View Post
I got my anniversary date reminder today and thought I'd check in to say "hi" to all my Hystersisters! What a wonderful memory returning to this website! This place and all of you were such a blessing to me before, during, and after my TAH in 2004. And that is an understatement!

6 years later I am doing so well that I don't even think about "managing" surgical menopause anymore. I am just feeling so great and have my strength and stamina and zest for life back 100%. I wanted to share this because I think it is important for others to realize that it CAN happen.

I was 49 when I had my TAH. I am now 55. Honestly, it took me about to the 4 year point to feel "balanced" physiologically without HRT. My MD only had me on a Climara patch for 6 months after the surgery and then recommended only vitamins and a healthy lifestyle. But I think the body needed close to 4 years to recover from the anesthetic, the loss of ovaries, and the trauma of the surgery.

Through that time I learned (for me, anyway) that times of emotional or physical stress set me up for hot flashes, fatigue, depression, mood swings, and mental cloudiness. So I was having those a lot at first and then less up to year 2-3.

Year 3 brought tremendous emotional stress in my life from outside events and those symptoms escalated. As those issues resolved I moved into a stronger physical place. By year 4-5 I only had a few instances of these symptoms when I would physically tax myself by strenuous hikes, yardwork, or over-doing other activities.

This past year I have felt the best I've ever felt-strong, balanced, invigorated. Gone are hot flashes, night sweats, I sleep like a baby, and I have energy to spare! Really this has been the majority of my experience from year 4 onward.

3 years ago I did have a hormone test to see what my levels were and my estrogen was about "normal" according to the MD. Just a tad below. I was amazed, but not surprized because I felt pretty good.

Today I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and eat a diet composed of mini-meals of carb/protein and stay away from sugar, white processed flour, and processed foods. I exercise lightly (walk, garden, ride a bike when I feel like it, golf). I nap liberally. I just feel comfortable in my body! I lost 30 lbs eating this plan and have 20 more to go. But at 55 I feel better than I did at 35. No more tampons!!!!

Sexual desire is really not so hot. Don't really have any. But then that is not a big issue for me in my current lifestyle. It might be for others. Everything DOES work but I have to use a lubricant to get it going. Just thought I'd throw that in for what it's worth. Initially things were different-no desire, no orgasm. Well, that's improved, just so ya know!

Going through the surgery changed my life in other ways as well and helped me get many new directions and priorities in my life. That's another long story and it's been told here before.

Just wanted to say now that I am doing well and there is "light at the end of the menopause tunnel"! For all my worries at the time, things worked themselves out with time. I hope this happens to all of you as well. I believe it will.

Love to all my Hystersisters!

Deb
So, after almost 6 years since your hyster your adverse signs and symptoms of menopause are ending! Congrats to feeling normal again....I hope my menopause stops soon, I can't stand being sleep deprived and having aching joints. Best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM

Wow what a great story I'm so glad you shared your 6 year update. I am only 3 weeks post-op and feel fairly well (minus being really tired). No hot flashes, I am a little emotional, but I have decided to go with no HRT. I think lifestyle balance and just realizing there will be good days and there will be bad days. I am so thankful my monthly torture and pain are over with and look forward to this new phase of my life.

Thanks again for sharing your story! It's nice to hear how your life is doing so many years down the road. I look forward to the journey!

TAH/BSO
Sept. 21, 2010
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM

thanks for this good report I'm 50 yo and 6 weeks post op RALH-BSO, and my symptoms so far are minimal. I'm hoping that diet and exercise will help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register