Scheduled LAVH Pre-Op Testing??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Testing??? Pre-Op Testing???

Unread 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Pre-Op Testing???

I am having my pre-op testing done next week and wondered if anyone knew what that consists of??

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Re: Testing???

At my visit they just took blood & went over everything. My nurse was great. She told me about how the gas pains in the abdomen can feel like you are having a heart attack so be prepared for that. She gave me the thing (sorry I don't know what it is called) to blow into to practice deep breathing. They went over medications & what ones not to take before surgery. I would take a list of what you are taking now & questions you may have. She told me to take a shower that morning with antibacterial soap to help prevent infection. & She answered any questions that I had. I hope that helps.
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:47 PM

I don't have my pre-op visit until next week but I was told only testing would be a blood test and possibly a urine test and the appt itself would just be to explain the surgery to me, go over my meds and history and answer any questions (i already have a list a page long of questions i want to make sure are answered taken from the pre-op checklist here and tweeked for my own personal needs)

good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM

My testing is with the anesthesiologist. Is that who they are normally with? I heard that they do xrays too? Any idea what they test for with the bloodwork? Sorry, to me, it's just another thing to worry about!!! I have the 'what-ifs'. They find something in my bloodwork, then I have another set of issues to deal with!!

Thanks for everyones input! Most people are telling me it's routine and I'm healthy (other than the issues that has brought me to needing a hysterectomy!) and I have no need to worry...
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM

I had my pre-op appointment 3 weeks ago. Basically I had to fill out a questionare about my medical history, they took my blood pressure, measured my thigh for compression tights, went over the procedure and what to expect afterwards, told me what medications they would be administering, gave me some post surgical exersices to become familiar with and answered any questions that I had.

I had my blood work done yesterday, seeing that they want you to have it done only a few days before surgery and tonight I've got an MRI scheduled.

It's all very routine. You have nothing to worry about! Keep your head up and try not to worry about the 'what ifs'.

Good luck with everything!
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen03 View Post
My testing is with the anesthesiologist.
I met with the anesthesiologist at my pre-op and pre-admission, we discussed what type of anesthesia they will use (general), etc. They also did blood work, EKG, chest x-rays. The nurse went over what I need to the do the night before (oh JOY).
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Hi wen03

My bloodwork included complete blood workup (not sure exactly what they look for!) and HIV test, both of which are standard at my hospital for all surgeries. Because I am over 40, they did an EKG, and I had a chest x-ray because I used to smoke years ago. I also had a urine test.

My pre-op testing did not include a meeting with the anesthesiologist, and I think it's great that yours does.

If you're anxious about what you'll experience, you can always call the doctor or hospital and ask. That's what I did, and it helped me know what to expect.

Unread 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Re: Pre-Op Testing???

I have my pre op appt on Monday and I meet first with anesthetist where they said they will weigh me, go over the procedure, complications etc. Then I meet with the Op nurse whom they informed me, will also weigh me, do blood pressure, go over the procedure, l inform me of the sequence things will happen from the minute I arrive for my surgery, fill out forms, go over complications, what to expect in recovery, pain meds, exercises etc etc etc.

Best of luck to you!!
Esther

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register