Sitting at home with heating pad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sitting at home with heating pad Sitting at home with heating pad

Unread 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Sitting at home with heating pad

1 1/2 weeks since SAH. I had to make it back to work (computers) this week and I am already back at home. Nothing seems to help the muscle spasm like feelings across my tummy. Dr. said heat & motrin. Any other suggestions? I am single and I have to work to make the rent. The office is slow paced, but the discomfort is excruciating. To top that off I have been emotional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Re: Sitting at home with heating pad

Bless your heart! I feel for anyone having to do anything remotely related to work so soon after surgery. My heating pad and pain relievers kept me from losing my sanity. I had a prescription for motrin and also Tylenol 3. The Tylenol 3 helped the most but I tried to use the motrin instead as much as possible and saved the T3's for really, really bad days/nights. I'm 15 weeks post-op and actually got up during the night last night to take 1/2 T3. It just takes time.

I got this great little soft rectangular cushion at the dollar store for $3 when I was stocking up on items I needed for my recovery. That little pillow has been a lifesaver. Alot of times I couldn't get comfortable on my back (it felt like it was stretching & pulling at my incision) and I'd go sleep on the couch with my back against the back of the couch and then sort of brace just the edge of the small pillow in front of me (way above my incision) to keep me from having to use my stomach muscles to stay on my side. It seemed like this is how I got my biggest relief. I just draped my heating pad over my side. I slept on the couch ALOT during my 6 weeks off. That's about the only suggestion I can offer. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, it WILL get better, but it takes time. I'm still sleeping surrounded by pillows and with one sort of over my incision area. I'm paranoid after my husband flung his arm across my stomach hard (two different times) during his sleep right after my surgery. That hurt like crazy, so now I'm better safe than sorry.

Feel better soon!
Unread 10-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Thank you for the advice. I may see if the Dr can prescribe stronger motrin. I have been outta Perc. For 2 days. I feel like a big baby.
I got one better than Hubby's arm. 2 cats (one of which weighs 19 lbs.) that love the heating pad and my lap. Needless to say I live in pillows and
blankets to hide the pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerbee View Post
1 1/2 weeks since SAH. I had to make it back to work (computers) this week and I am already back at home. Nothing seems to help the muscle spasm like feelings across my tummy. Dr. said heat & motrin. Any other suggestions? I am single and I have to work to make the rent. The office is slow paced, but the discomfort is excruciating. To top that off I have been emotional.
((Checkerbee))

I went back to work 2 weeks after my SAH. It's been a difficult road, but I didn't go into spasms, my swelly belly showed up, though.

If you can find a way NOT to sit all the way up at work, do it. I prop my feet up, recline back a little and have my keyboard in my lap. And, I use ice instead of heat.

But, most of all, and I learned this one the hard way, listen to your body! It's telling you something! After trying to work for 2 weeks and not making it to Friday both weeks before my body just gave out, I ended up cutting my hours back. I made it all 5 days last week with the shortened hours!!!! I learned to listen to my body or else I was going to end up on medical leave again.

Please be careful and keep us posted!

((hugs))
Unread 10-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks. I may will try the feet up and shorter hours tomorrow. I will stick with heat though as the ice makes my belly feel like it is on fire. I was one of those who had numbness for a several days and now all the nerves are hyper sensitive. Looking forward to pain free moments.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register