toremove cervix/ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

toremove cervix/ovaries? toremove cervix/ovaries?

Unread 08-28-2007, 08:15 PM
toremove cervix/ovaries?

I am 43 years old awaiting a hyst in Oct. after severe bleeding from adenomyosis. I also have PCO and HPV. My surgeon is leaning towards removing everything but she says it has to be up to me. She wants me to feel in control. I would really love to hear personal experiences pros/cons of keeping or removing cervix/ovaries. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
toremove cervix/ovaries?

Hello Iam 2 years past my hyster. It was in some ways the best decision I made. I had a complete one. Now I live on hormones for another 20 years. It has helped me out not only physically but emotionally. I couldn't believe the change in my day to day life. No more pain and no more rollercoasters of emotion. Only thing that may bother me is that I had no children before mine. I also have HPV and that was a factor along with having my reproductive system all messed up. The surgery itself went very well. I did run a slight fever the next day. But the incision site was tender for a few weeks and I wasn't able to sleep on my tummy for about 10 weeks. Thank goodness for my recliner the first 6 to 8 weeks. Important thing is to have a person that can do everything for the first 4weeks. I felt like doing laundry at 4weeks. Of course I wasn't lifting anything until 8 weeks post op. But my hubby was great about taking care of me.

Now post op you might feel tired alot which Iam sure your doctor has told you. Even up to a year you might be still fatigued at times. It might also take a little while to adjust to the hormones. I take premarin 1.5 and have done very good on them. Infact I just seen my obgyn today and got them prescribe for another year. Now to be honest my incision site is still numb or should I say I have no feeling. But well worth it to feel better. Don't be surprised if you have bleeding for a few days. But that has alot to do with how skilled your doctor is. I had it the day after but only spotting. Then it was gone.

In closing. You will have to weigh the options of having all of it taken or partial with ovaries intact. Seeing that you are just a few years away from menopause anyway and if your ovaries are not diseased. I say keep them. From what I read some women who decide for a partial sometimes go into ovarian failure. Then again some don't. As far as my own experience. I do suffer with depression but that is just because i never had children. As for physically I notice the difference when I skip a day or 2 of my hormones. I get horrible headaches. With all this I still get fantom pains like I am having a cycle. LOL Kinda strange. I hope this helps. TC and GL.
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:12 AM
toremove cervix/ovaries?

Thanks for your post. It is good to know that I will probably need help for 4 weeks. I am sorry about you not having any children I know there is nothing more difficult than that. I was an infertility patient for 5 years. Now we have three miracle children, the first adopted and the second two biological. I know it is hard but adoption is a wonderful thing and it will fill that empty hole if you and your husband let it. Take Care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register