Hysterectomy+HP Medication+AntDepressants = 0 organism | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy+HP Medication+AntDepressants = 0 organism Hysterectomy+HP Medication+AntDepressants = 0 organism

Unread 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Hysterectomy+HP Medication+AntDepressants = 0 organism

These past 7 months since my surgery have been a struggle. First it was the worry I wouldn't be able to have sex or an orgasm again, I got through that and regained my sex life. It is different but ok. Then I developed high blood pressure so had to start taking a fluid pill again, I hadn't had high blood pressure for years. The fluid pill didn't work so I had to go on a second pill, that solved the blood pressure problem. I started to notice I was having difficulty having an orgasm but thought it was a one time thing. Then I started being stressed and having anxiety at work to the point I was going to have to quit my job. I went to the doctor and asked for anti-depressants. She gave them to me and asked if I would like to talk to a therapist which I thought was a great idea. The first thing the therapist ask was if I could achieve and orgasm, I told her I was having difficulty but wasn't sure which medication it was, she said it could be either. I feel so good taking them both, but miss the orgasm, it has been such a part of my marriage with my husband of 35 years. I don't know whether to stop the medication and feel stressed and have high blood pressure again, or give up my sex life. This is just so upsetting. I thought I would post this in hopes someone else has had this issue and might have some advice as to what they did. Sometimes there are solutions to the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Re: Hysterectomy+HP Medication+AntDepressants = 0 organism

Hi (((Sandra519))) I'm sorry you are having this trouble. Are you using any HRT? Have you talked with your doctor about your options in that regard? My experience was that when my estrogen level was too low, my blood pressure went high and I didn't feel like myself. I raised my estrogen dose rather than go on blood pressure medications and antidepressants.

Unfortunately, all medications have side effects, and some of them do negatively affect libido. Blood pressure meds and *most* antidepressants do this. There are some which have less of an impact so your doctor might be able to help you choose something different to try if you don't want to go the HRT route. Don't give up too easily; it can take some time to find the right solution, but hopefully you should be able to regain your ability to orgasm.

I hope this helps.

(((hugs))),
-Linda
Unread 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM

I'm on an anti-depressant myself, have been for 16 years. Unfortunately, decreased libido is a side effect of many SSRIs and SNRIs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108697/ has a discussion of treatment strategies, including but not limited to switching meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2015, 08:23 AM

I am not on BP meds but have been on many antidepressants. For me, a couple affected me, others I was on briefly, and others had no sexual side effects. I know everyone is different but perhaps your Dr might try a different brand or type. I know nothing about which BP meds might be culprits, but I know with the AD's the trick was to find what worked, minus the side effects. I hope your Dr is able to adjust your meds and/or HRT, I do think there are likely to be alternatives.
Unread 08-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
Hi (((Sandra519))) I'm sorry you are having this trouble. Are you using any HRT? Have you talked with your doctor about your options in that regard? My experience was that when my estrogen level was too low, my blood pressure went high and I didn't feel like myself. I raised my estrogen dose rather than go on blood pressure medications and antidepressants.

Unfortunately, all medications have side effects, and some of them do negatively affect libido. Blood pressure meds and *most* antidepressants do this. There are some which have less of an impact so your doctor might be able to help you choose something different to try if you don't want to go the HRT route. Don't give up too easily; it can take some time to find the right solution, but hopefully you should be able to regain your ability to orgasm.

I hope this helps.

(((hugs))),
-Linda
Hi Linda thank you for the advice. I had my hysterectomy in December and started taking Estrogen gel in January within a month they had to up the dose as it was doing nothing for my hot flashes and mood swings.
I have an appointment to see my gyno and my therapist on the 18th of August and will be discussing my concerns with them then. If we can figure out the solution I will be going back to my family doctor right away and getting something changed. My therapist thinks if she teaches me how to handle my stress I can stop the anti-depressants and maybe the blood pressure medication, so we shall see. I'm trying to give everything a little time it has only been three weeks. I am a perfectionist and have to have control of every situation and when I can't I'm stressed the pills make me feel so much better, but I do miss the orgasms. I will have to be patient and see how it all plays out. Thank you again for your help.
Unread 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I'm on an anti-depressant myself, have been for 16 years. Unfortunately, decreased libido is a side effect of many SSRIs and SNRIs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108697/ has a discussion of treatment strategies, including but not limited to switching meds.
Thank you SuprisedInNB for the link. I read through some of it already and will be discussing the mini vacations from the anti-depressants to see if she thinks that might solve the problem. I have doctors appointments set up for the 18th of August and will be discussing all of these ideas. I want to give the medication time to work and maybe some of the side effects will pass, I'm just trying to give everything a bit of a chance, but I do worry about my sex life, and that just makes things worse I know. I appreciated you help.
Unread 08-03-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
I am not on BP meds but have been on many antidepressants. For me, a couple affected me, others I was on briefly, and others had no sexual side effects. I know everyone is different but perhaps your Dr might try a different brand or type. I know nothing about which BP meds might be culprits, but I know with the AD's the trick was to find what worked, minus the side effects. I hope your Dr is able to adjust your meds and/or HRT, I do think there are likely to be alternatives.
I read the side effects again from my BP medication and it doesn't mention any sexual side effects, but the anti depressants do for sure. I'm giving these a change but will be seeing my doctors and therapist in two weeks and we are going to figure out a solution I'm sure. I know there was another anti-depressant I could have taking, but I am kind of a hyper person and so she thought the other was better, but maybe just taking a lesser dosage or by not taking on the weekends when my Dh is home may work. I so appreciate my Hyster Sisters for all of your help and support. It helps to know I'm not alone. Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register