What is GAS X in the UK??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is GAS X in the UK??? What is GAS X in the UK???

Unread 11-26-2005, 01:00 AM
What is GAS X in the UK???

Hi fellow European sisters!

I have read about gas x on lots of posts can we get it over here and what is it called?? Will I need it after a lap hyst and ant repair???

Thanks for help x x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2005, 03:37 AM

Hi

Great to see another sister from the UK. The american terminology can sometimes be a bit confusing to us over here.

I am not sure exactly which of the various ops suffer from gas but I am going in for a TVH with various repairs tomorrow and am taking no chances because it seems to be something that can really be a problem.. I found something called Wind-eze in Boots and am packing this in my bag just in case!

I have also read that peppermint cordial and peppermint sweets can help so will also pack some of these as well. You can never be too prepared!

Best wishes
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:28 AM

Hi Bungo

Thanks for the top tips!!

Anything else you can think of that will be useful?? Sounds like we will be having similar things done.

All the very best for your surgery tomorrow, will be thinking of you and look forward to finding out how you geton!

You are more than welcome to pm me anytime

Good luck again,

goodluckall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2005, 03:27 AM

My advice would be do all you can to avoid constipation in the first few weeks. Never a prob for me, it was at nearly two weeks I suffered. So keep taking Mil Par even if you think you don't need it. I stopped because all seemed OK. And eat prunes etc even if you don't normallly need any help. Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.
Unread 12-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Hi Marianni

Where are you from in Surrey?? I am in Guildford. Had surdery and all went well and pharmacist recommended charcoal tabs for wind pain, so used them and have been ok, though haven't neede to take loads. Was taking sennokot at the beginning but haven't been the last couple of days. Interesting that you had probs at 2 weeks, I had better beware.

Good to hear from you and hope your recovery is going well.
Unread 12-10-2005, 03:10 PM

the active ingredient in Gas x is simethicone. Maybe you have it there under this name. I also recommend going to a heath food store and buying a gentle intestinal cleanser - keeps things rolling but not nearly as harsh as a laxative. A stool softener doesn't do anything to make your bowels "move" (peristalsis comes to a grinding halt during surgery, they move your intestines out of the way, and pain medication keeps things going slowly which is why we get constipated and gassy afterwards). I used an intestinal cleanser and have been regular since I began it 3 days after surgery (when I had gas pains so bad (from stem to stern!) I sent health nut husband to the health food store to use what he has been using for many years. I feel great -no horrible cramps or gas , just daily like clockwork.
The gas pains can be as bad (or worse) than the surgery pain.
Good luck! You're a smart lady for seeking to be fully prepared!
Unread 12-10-2005, 03:44 PM

I have no idea what other name this would be called but I promise GAS-X is a wonderful thing. I sure hopesomeone can help you with this. I started taking it the day after surgery and have had no gas pains and no problem with BMS and I am just 4 days post-op! Everything seems to be working well!
GOODLUCK LUV!
Unread 12-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Can you get "Kinder-tea" in the UK like they have in Germany? It has fennel herb, peppermint and chamomile (sp)?. This is great for little ones and post-op as well... tastes pretty good too and natural. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 12-11-2005, 08:12 AM

goodluckall-
I am near Guildford too! Yes, do take care with BMs...it hit me a bit later and it wasn't fun, I was back in hospital for the day and was in agony. I would never want to return to the earlier problems, so just slowly trying to wean myself off Mil Par by reducing the dosage, taking it every other day.
Unread 12-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Hi,

I believe the english equivalent is Windezze I had some all prepared before hyst but was lucky and didn't need it but other ladies staying in hospital at the same time found it great.

Love Kim x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register