Scheduled dVH/RALH Questioning myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questioning myself Questioning myself

Unread 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Questioning myself

I have been so anxious about my surgery on Friday that I have just tried not to think about it. It is as if it is happening to someone else, not me. Intellectually, I know it is the best thing for me, but when I really start thinking about it, I panic. So I try not to think about the fact that I am really scheuled to have this done. As a result, my house is not ready and work is not ready (I am a teacher and will be out for 3 weeks). I keep thinking I have plenty of time, but truly it is less than a week away. I have my head in the sand, and I think it is really making the panic grow rather than recede.

Help? Advice? Anyone else relate? Agh!!
I think I need to make a to do list and will feel better when I can check a few things off.

Oh boy... deep breaths...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Re: Questioning myself

Any encouragement?
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:38 PM

I'm not sure I have great advice as I'm similar to you--just following a few weeks behind! However, what I tell myself is similar to what people tell pregnant ladies: don't worry about getting everything done. That will work itself out. I would make yourself a list of what YOU need (extra pillows, stool softener, Advil, whatever) and not even sweat the rest. A year from now, none of that will matter. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Second guessing yourself is very normal! I did it, too. From diagnosis to surgery was only 6 weeks, so it felt like a whirlwind. I was not ready at work (scrambled to get people to cover responsibilities), at school (grad student), or home (was able to freeze a few meals, not much more). Just do what you can and the rest will work itself out.

I don't want to scare you, but plan to take as much time off as possible. If you're ready and feel good you can always go back early. Some women have no problem with daVinci, but just as many (or more) take longer than the 2-3 weeks to feel back to normal. I planned 2.5 weeks out, but should have waited at least 4. ((Hugs))
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks ladies. The 3 weeks off will take me up until our Christmas break, so in reality I will have 5 weeks without work. My doctor only wanted me to take 2 weeks (what?? I teach kindergarten! lol.). I am thinking subconsciously that if I don't make a big deal of it, it won't be a big deal. I have spent a little time on the post op board, and it seems that there are a lot of possible problems post-op. Scary. I am going to get out of my jammies and face life-- starting with a shower then a trip to Walmart to pick up a few items... then make that to-do list.
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM

I so relate! I'm freaking out myself and behind on housework. Decided to cancel maids due to $$ So further behind and worried. But take a deep breath and do what you can! We try to be Superwoman but we really need to do what we can and let the rest go. Our health is the most important thing right now!
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I am very OCD,so I have been staying busy by getting things ready. I have surgery the Monday following yours. I have 4 list going…Its that bad.LOL. Getting stuff ready and prepared has helped me some. I am still very nervous about the surgery. I keep reminding myself that it is going to be for the best and to focus on that.So try that. Try to think of all the good that will come of it. Everyone woman I know that has had a hysterectomy said I will LOVE it and that is was the best decision they ever made. Good luck!!
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM

I was stressing out really really bad, even thought of cancelling my surgery up to the outpatient registration sign-in the morning of. Kept checking my packing list over and over, making sure I had everything at home that I would need at my immediate disposal since I was going to be holed up for awhile in recovery. And here I am feeling really good to the point I forget I still have limitations I need to adhere to like lifting restrictions. I went back to work two weeks post op with no complications. I have a desk job but lots of up and down to get files out of the cabinets etc., to which I took it very easy not wanting any setbacks, and so far so good. Positives so far is I feel lighter, no painful fibroids, and no periods! I was supposed to have one on my bday the 20th and well nothing came, not even spotting Good luck, you will be fine
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla44 View Post
I think I need to make a to do list and will feel better when I can check a few things off.

Oh boy... deep breaths...

Hystersisters has a good app for iPhone that has a checklist, diary, daily advice, etc. It has been a godsend throughout this ordeal. Just an fyi.
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM

I was very nervous and wondering if I was doing the right thing , I did not even sleep the night before my surgery but everything turned out good and I am glad I did it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register