Pre-Op Aptt. over - some good, some bad news | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Aptt. over - some good, some bad news Pre-Op Aptt. over - some good, some bad news

Unread 03-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Pre-Op Aptt. over - some good, some bad news

Well, I had my pre-op appt. Mon. and most of what the Doc said was good. I'm having a TAH-BSO w/repairs for cystocele, possibly an appendectomy if alot of endometriosis and possibly a lymph node biopsy and omentum b/c I have an ovarian cyst, which is the reason for surgery in addition to a thickened endometrium.

The good news - I'll be getting an epidural just before the surgery is over and will have that and Toradol for the 1st day. (Of course, I'm having a general anesthesia for surgery). I'm soooo relieved that I won't be waking up to pain and the Toradol will start to help w/the inflammation. I read about these meds on H.S. and I'm so grateful.

Doc also said my repairs should be pretty straightforward and she's fairly certain I'll get the catheter out before I come home! The pain and the catheter were my biggest fears and I feel much better about them now. Sometimes I feel stupid for saying those are my biggest fears b/c I do have an ovarian cyst which has gotten a bit bigger and I am post-menopausal, which isn't a good mix. But I guess I just can't believe cancer could happen to me. Besides, I'll deal w/one thing at a time and I probably won't have to deal w/that at all. The Doc agrees w/me.

The bad news - I may need a vertical incision if the Doc feels I'll need a lymph node biopsy and omentum. She will do an exam of the cyst just before surgery, when I'm asleep, to decide, so I won't know until I wake up. The omentum thing sounds too gross to even think about, but it will only be done if there is a maglignancy. The good news about this part is that she'll call in a gyne-oncologist to do the biopsy and omentum.

I've read several posts here that encourage women to have a gyne-oncologist if there's cancer, and I felt even more trust in my Doc when she said that was her plan. (We're both confident the cyst is benign).

Thank you, again to H.S. I trusted my Doc before, but b/c of this site, I have even more faith in her.

The good/bad news - I'll be on 12 weeks of restriction. Three months of no lifting, heavy housework, bending from the waist, etc. Gee, I'm so disappointed about the housework, laundry part. But 3 months of no intercourse?! My DH says he'll be riding his bike alot. Good thing we've been married for almost 32 years - we can get through anything.

Sorry, so long. My DH has always said that I write (type) like I talk. Ha-Ha. Please one question for now - anyone who's had a vertical incision - how was it? How was the pain and do you have numbness? Should I get big undies or REALLY BIG ones. Would nightshirts be better than PJs? I've already bought new PJs with drawstring waists that are a bit big now, but I want to be comfortable. Guess that was a few questions wrapped up in one -- Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 03:42 PM

GARDEN,

WHAT PART OF CHICAGO FROM? I'M FROM lOCKPORT [ SOUTH ]
YOU SOUND ALL READY FOR YOUR SURGERY... AND WELL PREPARED, HOPE ALL GOES GREAT
Unread 03-03-2004, 04:10 PM

Hi Garden, I had a vertical incision and I am 6 weeks post op. I wasn't happy about it either but my doctor is a gyn-oncologist and I had a big fibroid and that is what she wanted to do. I've never had any other surgery but it wasn't the end of the world having the vertical incision. I was kept fairly comfortable with my pain meds and was walking all over the floor in the hospital. I had staples for 10 days and that was no big deal to put up with. My doctor believes in abdominal binders. I woke up with one on and I would highly recommend having one. I did end up with some post op complications but there is always the chance of that. I do have some numbness right on my incision but I didn't even notice that until things healed up enough that it wasn't tender anymore. I honestly just noticed this the last several days. If I can handle it anyone can. I was actually glad to have a catheter for 2 days because it would have been a real pain getting up all the time to go to the bathroom. I have never been cathed before, but I had no problem at all with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 04:19 PM

Tanya,

I'm not too far from you. I live in Mt. Greenwood. I grew up in Evergreen Park and now I live just a few minutes from my old home. You're only about 40 minutes away.

I think I've done my homework, but I'm still nervous - normal, I know.

It really is a small world, isn't it?
Unread 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM

Who Me?

The binder sounds great. I asked the Doc about and she said just to wait and see if I want it, but from what I've heard I know I want one.

I never thought about the catheter being a convenience before. Thanks very much, b/c the idea of that thing's been bugging me. I've never had it except during my urodynamic tests and that was a straight cath - not my idea of fun. I think the foley cath will be better, and the Doc did say she thinks it will come out before I go home - 3 or 4 days - depends on swelling.

I've never had major surgery before (D&Cs and small stuff, but nothing like this), and I want to say your reply has made me feel better. It really has - thank you.
Unread 03-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Re: Pre-Op Aptt. over - some good, some bad news

Quote:
Originally posted by Garden
[b] Should I get big undies or REALLY BIG ones. ]
I bought huge granny panties. When I took them out of the bag my whole family was on the floor rolling with laughter...they were that big!! Well they just fit. They dont hurt but they are snug. I bought 2 sizes bigger and bought the ones that come up to your breasts pratically, but should of bought 3 sizes bigger. I am 2 weeks post op and the swelling goes down by morning, but by that evening I am big again.
Good luck with your surgery
chele.
Unread 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM

Garden
I'm happy about all the good news. I hard to smile when you were bummed about no intercourse for three months. You really must have a great marriage! I have a friend, in her 30's who goes 3 months for no good reason! There are so many people who don't have that, so I'm hoping that thought will be a silver lining for you! Best wishes on everything else..I think I'd be bummed about a vertical too, but what can you do? Sigh....
Puppet
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:59 AM

Puppet,

My DH and I have had a few laughs over the 3 mo. break from intercourse. He asked how he would notice a difference - BIG LIE!
And I told him that with all the napping I'll be doing, maybe I'll have one of THOSE dreams and he won't. He really is the best guy. He did say he's actually going to be scared when the time comes. He doesn't want to hurt me, but I'm sure he won't.

I bought him the "Yes, Your Highness" apron and he got such a kick out of it. He has a wonderful wit. I truly believe humor is one of the top 3 things you need for a good marriage. How boring would life be if you couldn't kid w/people.

I've decided I'm not going to worry about what kind of incision I get. What will be, will be.

Thanks for your reply, Sheila
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:35 AM
thanks

I just read your post, the idea of the general with the epidural and Toradol sounds super to me. I will be going for my pre op in the next few weeks as my surgery is 4/13. Dr & I discussed it some but will discuss it more at my next visit and with the anestheologist. I assume Toradol is a pain medicine, am I right?

Is there sometimes itching associated with the epidural and the general surgery combined? I thought my Dr. said that but not sure as we talked about so many things.

If you would be so kind as to let me know who everything went once you are able I would really appreciate it. I am in the stage of relief that the surgery is scheduled (TAH with cervix and ovaries as I am 53) but know there will be alot of aprehension in the days to come. Thank you so much in advance for your insight and the information I received from your post. It has been a big help. Good luck to you surgery day and for your recuperation-be good to yourself. Hazel
Unread 03-04-2004, 12:04 PM

Sheila,

I have a long vertical incision...from under diaphragm to my pubic bone. I went in for a benign ovarian cyst removal and woke up with ovarian cancer. On the OFF CHANCE that this will happen to you, it's smart, smart, SMART to have a gyne-onc "on call." They are far better equipped to handle it.

I'm curious if you've had a CA-125 blood test?

Fortunately, my cancer was caught very early (Stage 1) and I am fine. I had a complete hysterectomy last summer just to be completely safe. This surgery was done laporascopically and was much easier. The vertical incision is pretty uncomfortable because they will have to cut through all of your stomach muscles to get at your repro organs. Healing takes a while so don't rush it. It is major abdominal surgery.

But, you do get through it. I am now three years post-surgery and my scar is a faint line, with a little curve around my belly button. And actually, this vertical scar has healed better than my 4 laborascopic scars...it's much, much fainter. Wish I'd have asked for a tummy tuck at the same time!!! LOL.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you are doing. It sounds like everything will be fine.

pshnyc

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register