Scheduled TVH Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance

Unread 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance

I live 2 hours from the hospital and am wondering about the car ride as well as what to expect post surgery. I am having TVH anterior posterior repair as well as a bladder sling. Not too worried about what happens after I get home as I have a great hubby to pamper me. However I do wonder about the general length of the surgery and what to expect pain wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Re: Need advice and reassurance

Hi Mahanna,

I had an abdominal surgery so very invasive compared to yours. However, I didn't have the repairs you're having. I expected much more pain than I woke up with so my hospital was very good with pain management. Ask about the type of pain meds they plan to give you. Whatever they prescribe, be sure and take them as needed. This isn't the time to play hero and cope with the pain if it's there. Take the meds on schedule, and you should find yourself needing them less and less. Some women here never needed narcotics at all, and did fine with OTC products. I took Percocet on the 4-hour schedule until day 5 post-op; after that, I took Tylenol or Aleve, so at no point was my pain "bad."

For the car ride home, you shouldn't be too uncomfortable since you won't have an abdominal incision. Still, you might find a little pillow pressed against your belly helpful, or even to sit on (a medical donut might help, too).

You may find having a plastic squeeze bottle filled with warm water helpful to you when you have to urinate post-op. I didn't need it, but women who have vaginal surgery might because it can be tender down there (I used this trick after childbirth, though, and it helped). When you go to the bathroom, squeeze the water on the outside of yourself as you go; it should ease with any mild burning you may have.

Best of luck with your surgery!
Unread 03-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Re: Need advice and reassurance

thank you Happy Dee. I feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance

I had a LAVH on Feb 6, and the car ride home was only 20 minutes but quite uncomfortable. Definitely have a pillow to press against your tummy, and a binder would be an excellent suggestion too. It's the tummy jiggles that hurt, so anything to keep your stomach stationary is of the good for sure.

As for the pain at the hospital - just let them know and they'll make sure you're doing well. Don't try to be "tough" or "strong", if it hurts, tell them. Good luck and see you on the other side!
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow 3/4: Need advice and reassurance

I had a LAVH Jan 28 and find car rides to be more comfortable when I recline the seat.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register