Wondering about recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering about recovery Wondering about recovery

Unread 11-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Wondering about recovery

Having a TVH for prolapse. I am a teacher and DR says I can probably go back to work on Jan 2. I am 60 and in good health and hoping that I can. Writing lesson plans for 3 weeks has been very time-consuming and stressful!! Any one with advice about going back to work? Maybe half-days for another week?
Jeddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2005, 02:23 PM
do a search

Hi:

You'll probalby get good answers to this post, but I just wanted to let you know that in the last week or so there was a very active post about this in the post-op board.

I'm only 12 days out so I can only tell you that I feel good, assisted my kids to clean up their play area today (VERY impressed how much they did themselves) and am not tired. I'm back on the couch with an ice pack between my legs because I'm a firm believer that if you control the swelling you speed the healing. Also I'm trying to follow the site advise about stopping BEFORE you feel tired.

Good luck with your surgery & recovery! Teachers are the best!
Unread 11-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Wondering about recovery

I am two weeks post op and had a tvh. I feel pretty good. I think it is true when they say two steps forward - one step back though. I know being a teacher that you really need to know b/c you have to schedule your sub and all but alot of it will depend on how you feel and your own body. Everyone recovers at their own pace. You will have good days and bad days. I had an extremely good week and now I fell whipped. Laid around all day. I wasn't hurting - just tired. Like I said, alot of it will depend how you feel. I don't think we can put no definet time on if we will feel good at that time. That will give you 4 weeks recovery. You may just want to start out 1/2 days and see how it goes from there. Good luck with your surgery and I wish I had a better answer for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Wondering about recovery

I agree. I'm 19 days out from a TAH. We've had company every day until this morning. And I've loved all their help. I do think some of my friends and relatives wanted me up and walking too fast. I mean, I was up and walking around the house, but they kept me really busy with crafts and walking the neighborhood, etc. I never took a nap until yesterday and today. Felt SOOOO good, and I feel so much better afterwards.

I think you need to listen to your body.
Unread 11-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Wondering about recovery

I am 12 days post op and doing very well too. I don't have to go back to a job, But, I will say the same. Listen to your body. My sister had a hysterectomy and went back to work 3 weeks post op. She owns her own beauty salon so she was on her feet all day.

Well, going back to work for her, that soon was not a good idea because her bladder literally fell out of her. She had to have another surgery for that.

That is why they say 6 weeks. You will know by how you feel.

Best Wishes to You,
Unread 11-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Wondering about recovery

I Home School and only have two children to teach....and those dreaded lesson plans were a pain in the butt. I can't imagine how much more YOU have to do with teaching a lot more kids!
Big Hugs to you!!!!!!!!! (my sister is a public school teacher too!)
I am hoping I can start teaching in 2 weeks after but that is AT HOME...still in my baggy pants!! LOL
Make sure you don't over do it, one message I have seen on this website is, "You only have one chance to heal."
Unread 11-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Wondering about recovery

My TVH is scheduled for 12/5 and they told me I could go back to work (teaching) on 1/4. I was told that I needed to get my students to carry my teacher's manuals though. I am hoping that I can because I haven't planned for that week. Good luck!!
Unread 11-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Wondering about recovery

I'm a full-time middle and elementary music teacher now, but was still student teaching when I had my surgery in May. I was in the hospital Monday to Saturday, went to school to observe 3 morning classes the next Tuesday, took the following week off (fell and opened up my incision), but the following week was able to be at school for two whole days and conduct our spring concert (22 days after surgery). I was tired, I was swollen, I was sore, but I did it and felt proud. I wanted to send a message to my body that I was in charge and don't tell me what to do anymore (is that why people look at me funny at the stop lights?).

Everyone recovers differently. I had a TAH/BSO, but was also 26, so the age thing was working for me. If you teach elementary, make sure you have an aid who can do a lot of the walking around/answering questions for you. If you're doing single subject, I would try to do the half day thing, especially if you teach the same class (lesson plans would already be done).

Try a "practice run" before you go back. If you required to stand for an hour at a time, practice doing that at home the week before. If you only need to be there and can sit all day, try that too. Sit upright all day at home and see what happens. If it's the week before you're supposed to go back and your practice runs are not even close to working, take more time off. It might be easier to request the time off now but come back sooner if you can than to schedule a return to work date and then have to extend it (especially if you're going to be getting disability payments during this time). Better safe than sorry. Remember that you only get one chance to heal, so if you don't feel ready to go back to work, just say no. People will understand
Unread 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Wondering about recovery

Thank you for your quick replies to my post. I have my lesson plans nearly done for 3 weeks and I meet with my sub later this week. She will be in for the whole time. I am happy for the consistency for the children. I teach a second grade class with very diverse learning abilities, so I've had to plan for several levels of reading, math, and spelling. I have already asked for family medical leave until Jan 9th, so I am all set if I need the extra time. After advice from my hyster sisters, I think I will try half-days that first week in Jan. At least I could go home and take a nap. Everyone seems to say that fatigue will be the biggest factor. I have a classroom aide for one hour a day and I could enlist the aid of my students. They would probably LOVE it! I am lucky because my daughter is arriving this Friday from San Diego to stay until Christmas to help out with household chores since my husband is struggling with back problems and just spent a week bedridden. He can't do any lifting either! Just wrapping up other loose ends before my trip to the castle! Thank you all again; this site has been wonderful!
Wishing the best to this weeks princesses. Love to you all.
Jeddy
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Wondering about recovery

Jeddy,
I had a TVH and with the exception of feeling poorly from an UTI during week three I probably COULD have gone back to week full time around week three or four. I stayed away from work for six weeks... this was the first time I had EVER taken an extended period of time off for myself. In addition to getting lots of rest and healing physically, I recharged my mental batteries as well. If you can take six weeks, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Good luck to you and everyone else who is about to become a new princess!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register