Scheduled for total laparoscopic hysterectomy and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for total laparoscopic hysterectomy and nervous Scheduled for total laparoscopic hysterectomy and nervous

Unread 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Scheduled for total laparoscopic hysterectomy and nervous

I've been reading a lot online about total hysterectomy and now I'm scared to death. I'm 35 having a period about 3 weeks out of a month. Tried birth control ( gave me migraines and leg cramps not to mention it messed up my thyroid medication), had an Ablation last September it did nothing( alittle lighter that's it) back to same 3 week cycle. My questions are: does having the cervix removed cause major problems? I'm having mine removed Dr. Said if not there's still a chance of spotting.
Keeping ovaries, will I still have all PMS symptoms? Nowhaving migraines mood swings and very tender breasts, Dr said they would ease up some. Also with a Lap hysterectomy how long is hospital stay, Dr said probably could retun to work after 2 weeks with no lifting ( my jobs mostly computer work) sound about right? Also cocerned about swellybelly, dropping bladder and intestine, and loss of organsim. Getting really freaked out about all I have read, web is a good source of information but sometimes too much is not so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Re: Scheduled for total laparoscopic hysterectomy and nervous

I have some of the same problems but most of mine is hormone. I am keeping only my cervix, My dr. told me that the cervix is the structural support and if she can leave it in it will greatly reduce the chances of dropping bladder and such. I am doing laprascopic in 2 days, they said I will come home the same night if everything is ok.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks and good luck!!! =>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I had a total hyster done laproscopically 5 days ago and feel great! Much better than I thought I would!! The first few days were slow going, a lot of napping. I stopped taking any pain meds by day 3 with the exception of some tylenol just before bed to help if I sleep funny and wake up sore. Take a stool softner after wards!! My first bm didn't come until day 4 and it wasn't bad but the gas pains and bloating leading up to it were uncomfortable to say the least. I'm not back to working, driving or having sex yet so I can't comment on that, but so far the experience has been a lot easier than I originally thought. I have a lot of help with my 3 boys (my mom's here for 3 weeks) and it allows me to nap in the afternoon and take things at my own pace.
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM

You will do beautifully! nerves is normal. Buy yourself some new jammies to perk you up
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM

I had my TLH done on the 18th I had to stay in hospital 3 nights but it was only cause I was vomiting. That cleared quickly.
I had reduced my pain meds on day 2 and by day 4 was off them. Having problems with BM but I stopped taking stool softener. Back on that now and doing fine. Pain was worse having a BM than it was after surgery. My cervix was taken and my ovaries left. I know it was the best thing I have ever done. I went trough years of pain and all I need now is to recover and I will be pain free for ever more. Dnt worry your doing the right thing.
As for sex well I wont be cleared till my 6 week checkup for that so cant help you there.
Best of luck to you.
Hugs..
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Read more here! I think lots of us did the same thing, seek info, and find nothing but scary stuff! Here its real women, that will share their real stories, no figures or obscure surgical facts, its reality... and we are here for you!

I'm 33yo, had a period 4 weeks a month, for well over 10 years... sooo know what that's like! Ufff

Haven't missed the cervix, nothing feels different. Kept ovaries, as it should be a long time before natural menopause. Haven't felt PMS symptoms, but have breast tenderness.

I had lapro, I was in the hospital two nights, left in the evening the third day. Everyone is different on hospital stay based on what is found and the repairs made. For me, I had intestine and bowel adhesions that had to be removed as well as endo sites on my bladder that had to be caterized. So stayed on the pain pump and catherter longer than someone having "just" a hyster. I was crazy nervous about being in the hospital, then after surgery I didn't want to leave!

I never had the swelly belly, or the feeling my intestines were falling out.

Everyone's recovery is different, for me two weeks would have been too soon. I was pretty much able to handle work, but didn't have the energy to be very useful and my head was still foggy. Three weeks was much better, I'm now at four weeks, and feeling 95%!

Oh, and I haven't gotten the go ahead for sex, but "O" works just fine with external stimulation! >wink<
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM

I had LAVH 4 weeks ago. Smooth recovery for the most part, but returning to work after 2 weeks would have been way too soon for me! I am 38 and have a desk job too- I am returning at 6 weeks post-op and glad I took that time. I have 3 kids and get out and about and try to do more each day to build my endurance (tomorrow is a field trip to a science museum with a bunch of 5th graders!)- but a full work day just isn't in the cards for me yet!

My surgery was at 7:30am on a Monday and I was home by 1PM Tuesday.

I was torn about having cervix removed so I left it up to Dr- I did not want to keep it and risk still having bleeding- no matter how "light" it might be, I was SICK of bleeding- but at the same time wanted to keep it as it was healthy and I didn't want risk of prolapse or a longer, more complicated surgery. He was going to make decision once he got in there and saw how things were. Turns out the cervix was easy to get to and so he took it- which I am totally fine with! I did keep ovaries- my issue was a very large fibroid, so I had bleeding and urinary issues from that.

My belly is much smaller with fibroid gone but it does swell some when I have done a lot that day. First orgasm felt kind of small- not nearly as intense... Must have partially been nerves- subsequent ones have been GREAT! Don't know about sex- not cleared for intercourse yet.

All in all VERY glad I had it done- all symptoms from fibroid have resolved and I look forward to never having a period again!!!

Amy
LAVH- 1/31/2011

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register