Question regarding the Cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question regarding the Cervix Question regarding the Cervix

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Question regarding the Cervix

I found out yesterday that I would be having a hysterectomy on Feb 21. Of course, after I left, I had more questions. I am almost positive my doctor said the cervix would be removed also. He did say the ovaries stay as long as they are healthy.

My question, what are some reasons why a doctor would NOT go ahead and remove the cervix?

I want mine GONE too. 20 years ago I had pre cancer cells/cervical dysplasia. I do not want to deal with it possibly coming back one day, which I heard it can.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Re: Question regarding the Cervix

I think keeping the cervix is mostly a personal choice. I'm not sure there is a medical reason to keep it. There are certainly medical reasons for removing it.

The cervix is part of the uterus, so what ails the uterus could remain to some extent on the tissue surrounding the cervix and continue to cause problems.

In addition to the fibroids that were the main reason for my surgery, I've had abnormal pap results and mine came out for the same reason you state. I'm glad it did because my post-op pathology report showed adenomyosis, which could have haunted me post surgery if the cervix had remained.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

I've read where some women kept their cervix, and I was not sure if it were a personal choice or medical reason. Thank you

I have such extreme pain during my period that it causes significant anxiety when I know I'm getting ready to start. Tylenol does not help the pain one bit, and I can not take NSAIDS because I have stomach issue. That leaves me literally out of luck and destined to experience pain every month like I can not even begin describe. I'm sure the ladies here can understand.

I'm so done with all of it - anxiety, pain, and anxiety over every time I have to go in for a yearly pap, not knowing if the dysplasia is back. Feb 21 is not coming soon enough for me. I'm just nervous about the surgery and recovery, but I feel comfortable knowing it's the right thing for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Rethinking my answer - Some women are convinced the cervix supports the vagina and keeping it will prevent future vaginal prolapse.

I asked my doctor about this and she assured me she connects the vagina to remaining tendons to hold it in place, so it's not an issue. Thousands of women have had their cervix removed without complication. I'm confident we will both be fine.

I've had pain, irregular periods, extremely heavy bleeding and a whole host of other problems - and no life. Like you, my surgery date couldn't come soon enough.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Thank you, McLila!
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM

I'm a year out from surgery. I had huge fibroids and increasingly bad bleeding and cramps. I had to delay my surgery for a year when I got a state job.

My PA gave me Vicodin for that year and it saved me! I did lots of research and decided to keep my cervix. I am glad I did. If you have the option to choose whether or not to keep it, I would encourage you to do lots of research before you decide. I know that I got tons of info from this website and it helped guide many choices I made with regard to the surgery I had. Best of luck and good health to both of you!
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM

My Dr left my cervix intact. He took the if it isn't broke don't take it approach. I have never had an abnormal pap. I did have adenomyosis, but it was all in the far upper part of my uterus, not involving my cervix or the tissue that was sutured above it.

Do some research and see what your options are and what is best for you. My procedure was a whirlwind, I am grateful for my Drs approach.
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM

I too kept my cervix and was my personal choice (even though that meant that I would have to have a more complicated TAH than the easier LAVH). I did some research which was inconclusive. Asked the doctor and he told me that the statistics are somewhere in the middle... So, in the end, if you don't have a medical reason to remove it, keeping your cervix is a personal choice. I chose to believe that it will help in supporting my pelvic floor and hopefully not have a prolapse few years from now. Still have to have the yearly Pap which is annoing but I hope I made the right decision. Talk to your doctor ! Good luck !
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Thank you so much for the recommendation that I do some research. I will certainly do just that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register