Post hysterectomy vitamins | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy vitamins Post hysterectomy vitamins

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Post hysterectomy vitamins

What vitamins etc are you ladies taking post surgery? I started with centrum women 51+ and added calcium 630 mg. I do not drink milk. Besides all my other meds depression,anxiety,and hrt I just added vitamin b12 because I am so so tired of being tired and exhausted all the time and iron pill. What supplements has anyone tried for energy or metabolism support and had it work? Am I getting enough of everything or should I switch? And recommendations or comments would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy vitamins

I've just been taking my usual meds (citalopram for depression, Synthroid for hypothyroidism) and supplements. For supplements, I take:
1) Ferrous sulfate for iron because I'm vegetarian and had a bout of anemia a few years back.
2) Glucosamine/chondroitin because I've got some osteoarthritis and it seems to help.
3) Vitamin D because my sister the NP said to take it for my bones. I don't take calcium because I like yogurt and eat lots of it.

If you're feeling tired all the time, have your GP or PCP refer you for a TSH/T4 blood test to check your thyroid levels. You may have subclinical hypothyroidism (like I do), which means that you don't present any of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism *except* fatigue. It's a simple blood test, and if it turns out that you're hypothyroidic, that's easily fixed with a relatively inexpensive prescription med.
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Ok well that answers that. I have not been wanting to test my thyroid because I don't have any other symptoms that the disease can cause. I need to set up something with my gp for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Both my parents have thyroid issues. When I began experiencing unexplained fatigue, I asked the GP I had at the time (since retired) to refer me for a TSH/T4 test. He balked, saying that I didn't "present as hypothyroidic."

I was like, "What, because I'm not overweight? How about we do the test and then we'll know for sure, eh?"

Oh, the look on his face when the test results came back and he had to admit that I was right! *grin*
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM

Most of my supplements I was taking before my hysterectomy because of the side effects I had from chemo....
Calcium with Vitamin D to build up what chemo tpok from my bones
B Complex with B 12 to heal my nerves from peripheral neuropathy
Potassium Supplement for the leg cramps (levels are slightly low on bloodwork too)

Meds I take regularly:
HCTZ for my blood pressure
Simvastatin for my cholesterol
Naproxen for my fibromyalgia and migraines
Singular for allergies/asthma
Albuterol pump for asthma

My dr checks my thyroid regularly because of family history....I see a cardio this week because my gp believes I had a silent heat attack before my hyster...
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM

My dr recommended prenatal vitamin with an extra d3 and a b complex. So far so good.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM

My doctor prescribed calcium (500mg twice daily) & vitamin D (10,000 I.U. once weekly). To that I added B12, B Complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, Magnesium, Black Cohosh, Evening Primrose Oil & Co Q 10. I am feeling pretty good at 8 weeks out. Still struggling with insomnia though (medicating it).
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:48 PM

I'm taking a multi vitamin that includes iron, vitamin b12, vitamin e, calcium that includes D (I don't drink milk), metamucil and I used to take black cohosh but it didn't work so stopped that. I'm going to start taking magnesium.
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Both my parents have thyroid issues. When I began experiencing unexplained fatigue, I asked the GP I had at the time (since retired) to refer me for a TSH/T4 test. He balked, saying that I didn't "present as hypothyroidic."

I was like, "What, because I'm not overweight? How about we do the test and then we'll know for sure, eh?"

Oh, the look on his face when the test results came back and he had to admit that I was right! *grin*
Ya I know if I ask my gp he will think the same thing. I was also wondering about cortisol my gyno did it by blood but I hear saliva was best
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_Bear View Post
Most of my supplements I was taking before my hysterectomy because of the side effects I had from chemo....
Calcium with Vitamin D to build up what chemo tpok from my bones
B Complex with B 12 to heal my nerves from peripheral neuropathy
Potassium Supplement for the leg cramps (levels are slightly low on bloodwork too)

Meds I take regularly:
HCTZ for my blood pressure
Simvastatin for my cholesterol
Naproxen for my fibromyalgia and migraines
Singular for allergies/asthma
Albuterol pump for asthma

My dr checks my thyroid regularly because of family history....I see a cardio this week because my gp believes I had a silent heat attack before my hyster...
Wow I'm sorry you've been through so much! I hope it is all getting better for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register