Remove the cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove the cervix or not? Remove the cervix or not?

Unread 09-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Remove the cervix or not?

Please give me your experienced voices. I am having a TAH 9/24- I've been perimenopausal for 6 years (I'm currently 45)- HRT did not help my estrogen levels- the numbers were ridiculously low. 2 fibroids were found by sonogram 7/3- symptoms began shortly thereafter- heavy bleeding, pain in lower right abdomen and hip, intense fatigue, constipation! Another sonogram 9/10 showed the one fibroid has more then doubled in size since July - I'm on a hormone to stop bleeding till surgery- very uncomfortable in lower abdomen. Dr. recommended TAH because of the unusual nature of the one fibroid- growing rapidly with virtually no estrogen.
Dr. also recommended taking cervix and ovaries- ovaries obviously have been sputterring and choking for years. What about the cervix issue? Should I have it removed just because it's a cleaner surgery?
I appreciate your input. This website is helping me prepare both mentally and otherwise- I ordered a wedge pillow last night!!
Thanks!!!
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2002, 03:20 PM

Hi Carol,

We have a lot in common. I had a TAH/BSO about 10 months ago, primarily due to stage 4 endo. But I also had a history of fibroids and my gyn found adenomyosis and more small fibroids during my hyst. I was 46 when I had my surgery.

As for whether or not to keep your cervix ... this depends so much on why you're having your surgery in the first place. If your primary problem is fibroids, you need to be sure there are no fibroids growing near the cervix. Some ladies who keep their cervix and ovaries report that they experience mini-periods. Others don't have this problem. One reason to keep your cervix is to add pelvic support and to increase sensations during intercourse.

That said, I can tell you that sex is getting better all the time for me even without a cervix. Truth is, I had so much pain prior to my hyst that sex just wasn't something I had much interest in anymore. I am soooo happy now! As for pelvic support, I've no problems at all, no bladder issues of any kind, just plain doing great!

The ovary issue is another tough one and your decision will depend a lot on the reasons for your surgery. I would like to have kept my ovaries, but with stage 4 endo and the estrogen connection, I decided my chances of no endo regrowth were best if my ovaries were removed. Although it took awhile, I'm doing great now on Estratest H.S.

Keep reading and make the decision that YOU are most comfortable with. It's your body, you are the one who has to live with your decision. Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

Beth
Unread 09-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Cervix or not?

I've already emailed you at length but I did want to POST my most sincere thanks to you. It's so comforting to have someone- or many someones- who can and will share their stories with total strangers! I can't wait till I'm on the other side of this journey and I can offer support and advice. Till then, thanks a bunch!
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Cervix or not?

Hi! I am so sorry to hear you are going through this mess. :cry: I just want you to know that we are thinking of you and hope that whatever you decide will be the best for you....that is what it has to be. It must be your decision(unfortunately??)..

.I, too, had a history of endo for many years as well as large fibroids and a very enlarged uterus. I put off having a hyst because I wanted to make sure I did everything I felt I could do to make sure it was the right decision. I went on the pill for 1 yr as well. I felt great. But with all that estrogen my fibroids grew and grew. So.....it was in my best interest to have the hyst.

I am coming up on 4 wks post op and verrrrrrrry happppy I went through with it. I feel so much better already. I asked my doc about keeping my cervix as long as it was healthy and clean. She would ultimately make the decision in surgery. She kept it and said it made the surgery easier for her. I wanted to keep it for my own personal reasons.

God Bless and best of luck. Please keep us in the loop as to what you decide or if you have more questions.

CoryAnn

8/20/02 SAH/BSO w/ bladder repair.. due to enlarged uterus, 2 laaaaaarge fibroids, endo, cysts on remaining ovary and adenomyosis found during surgery
Unread 09-18-2002, 11:00 PM

My DR left my cervix in at my request and told me it was easier for me and him both if he did... Ive only been married a couple years and was worried about sexual problems, however he also informed me the cervix is almost always left in in Europe unless there is a problem.... this was good enough for me hehe (My husbands Dutch)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register