Second guessing... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second guessing... Second guessing...

Unread 06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Second guessing...

Pre-op is done and only five days left before the castle! Of course I have done my research and decided to keep my cervix. My doc was aiming for a TH because of recent research. I, of course, wasn't so sure I was okay with this... personal stories, some research saying that the cervix may be important for pelvic floor support and sexual function, etc pushed me to request a supracervical and surprise, surprise... I didn't have to fight for my cervix. I thought I was thrilled and then I read the article... http://www.sogc.org/guidelines/docum...38ECPG1001.pdf Gah! I did tell her to take it if there is any problem at all. I'm not feeling comfortable with any choice I make right now. I'm fine with mini periods but now I see that its more likely than I realized. I see that there seems to be very little difference between sexual satisfaction, urinary issues, etc between TAH and SC. Ugh. I'm so lost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Re: Second guessing...

Go with your gut feeling. I wanted to keep my cervix because it is a less invasive surgery (they don't have to peel as much of the uterus off the bladder) and if something goes wrong in the future, it can be removed then. I didn't see the point of removing something that has been healthy in my case. I also didn't want to deal with the potential complications of a vaginal cuff since I have a strong history of nasty scarring in the vaginal area. Like you, I was okay with cyclical bleeding if it happened. It hasn't so far.

It is a really tough decision because there are so many pros and cons. I would suggest you make a list and see what you can live with. Please make your decision on your own wants and desires and no one else. I gave you my thoughts on my decision so that you can see some of the things I considered. There are many other things to consider. Do your research and don't hesitate to get a second opinion even though you are having surgery in 5 days. If you aren't settled with your decision, I would suggest you delay the surgery until you are okay with what is going to be done.

Good luck!
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM

It's not so much that I'm not okay with this. Logically I am so 100% on board. Emotionally I'm a mess thus second guessing everything. From what I have read... Supracervical is best despite research. I've had abnormal paps in the waaaay past thus I will always have to have paps so cervix or not I'm still in the stirrups. I would rather have something go awry with my cervix and have that removed down the then have vagina removed. I don't know... Too many choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Hummm... you mentioned that you had abnormal paps in the past. That should be a huge part of your decision.

I am not sure what you mean by having your vagina removed. If you are concerned about the vagina being shortened because the cervix is removed, technically, only a minuscule amount is taken and some ladies say that they find that their vagina is now longer because the cervix does't hang down into it any longer.

Just more food for your thoughts.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM

If I was to develop atypical cells on the vaginal cuff instead of my cervix still being in place and thus developing there. I wish I had some sources directly at hand.

See... Overthinking... I don't know. It hard for me to describe my train of thought right now especially since I did most I my reading about 1 1/2 weeks ago.
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:06 PM

And my abnormal was about 10 yrs ago.
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM

I had abnormal paps in the past and dysplasia so my dr removed my cervix. I didn't really think about keeping it because I have sharp shooting pain that goes through it like a knife so I was content with it being removed. He told me after surgery though that I won't ever need paps again since he took it out so I don't know why you'd be in stirrups if you choose to have yours removed? I don't know much about procedures, I didn't do a lot of research because I just knew it's what I wanted done in the first place given my history.
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Second guessing...

I think I need to talk to my GYN one last time... Maybe then I will be 100% positive.
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:43 PM

I think that's a good idea
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM

I did not have a choice about my cervix because of fibroids. I can't comment on the sex issue yet, but as far as my recovery so far I can't even tell it isn't there. I have had no pain, no discharge. I would definitely talk to your dr again, especially with old history of abnormal paps. I am in the camp of 'kill 2 birds with one stone' and if I hadn't already had my appendix removed I would have asked her to take that too! Ten years ago when I had my appendecomty I asked them to do a hysterectomy because I knew the fibroids would get the better of me at some point but the surgeon wouldn't because of my age, sigh.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register