Pessary anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pessary anyone? Pessary anyone?

Unread 06-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Pessary anyone?

Has anyone used a pessary? I've gotten two opinions about surgery for my cystocele, enterocele, small rectocele repair surgery..my very competent gynie says he will only do major repair using mesh requiring 3 months off work and a possible very difficult recovery and some scary possible after effects...the gynie in my little town who did a good job with my hysterectomy 7 years ago says she will just do an anterior posterior 'tuck' by sewing everything up tight that will require only 3 weeks off work but I suspect also with some possible after effects affecting the sex life...gads..so now I'm looking at the pessary issue because I want to avoid the surgery for as long as I can and I'm not having any incontinence problems (yet), so...choices...I'd appreciate any comments or commiserations ...this is a great site and I love the frankness and honesty from everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Pessary anyone?

Meggie, I used a pessary very successfully for 5 months before my surgery last April. I had tried one in the past and didn't have a good experience so I was reluctant to try again. My new Gyn told me the reason my past experience was so bad was because it was either not the proper style or the proper fit. He told me we may need to try several different styles and sizes to find the right one. The idea is that you should not be able to feel it. We did try several sizes before we got the right one but he was right, I didn't feel it!! It helped immensely with the cystocele symptoms and moderately for the rectocele symptoms.
To be honest, I had such a difficult time after the mesh repair that I had wished I had kept the pessary and not had the surgery.
Good luck.
Michelle
Unread 06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Pessary anyone?

Michelle, Thank you so much for your reply. I never thought I'd be faced with this decision..I'm starting to feel the pressure from the cystocele/enterocele herniation but my gynie was very frank about the potential problems regarding the extensive repairs he would do. It really scared me a little. You would think this prolapse issue would be addressed at the time of a hysterectomy but I'm sure it's an insurance issue...nothing preventive is covered. It sounds like you've gone thru some of the potential problems he discussed with me such as mesh erosion/reaction and repeat surgeries...I hope you're on the road to recovery now.

Hugs,
Unread 06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Talking - Pessary anyone? Pessary anyone?

I just got my pessary last week. In fact, going in today to get it check. Since I have so many issues "down there", doc asked which problem is the most bothersome. Told her incontinence...she gave me the incontinence ring pessary.

I LOVE IT!!!!! I no longer have to squeeze my legs together when I sneeze, which is a good thing since we are in allergy season! Doesn't help with the uterine prolapse or the rectocele, but make me feel more confident about any odor real or imagined !

Good luck!!
Unread 06-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Give It A Try...

Thanks Steffie! I'm going to talk to my doc I think about trying a pessary for my particular problem and see if we can come with one that is a good fit and right for me before I consider surgery at this point. I'm glad your situation is working!!

Unread 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Pessary anyone?

Meggie,
I too tried a pessary (or should I say I tried a lot of them) and finally found one that didn't hurt and stayed in place. It took away all my bladder frequency symptoms - so I knew surgery was going to work. Also I would question your gyn saying that a simple tuck with only 3 weeks recovery is all you need. Maybe a simple tuck, but you will need to let scar tissue form to hold that repair in place - that usually starts to form at around 3 months. I know this now, my gyn that did my hyst also told me that I was healed and could do anything early and my cystocele repair failed before the 3 month mark. Good Luck to you. Hugs.
Unread 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Pessary anyone?

Hi Meggie,
My surgery was called off (It went from a five hour abdominal addressing all issues to a two hour vaginal with just anterior repair to now surgery on hold--high risk issues need to be addressed) ; so I'm going to try different type. My surgeon has found one that is 100% latex free. It will be more comfortable (softer) and can stay in for a month, like a IUD. I can have sex with this one too. I still have my uterus. I have all the prolapses (bladder,uterus, rectum, bowel, heart). However they didn't order a large enough one for me. I will give this one a try since I need to see another doctor before I can have surgery.

Take care and good luck with your pessary.
Unread 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Pessary anyone?

Bowlinggrl and Corgilvr -- Thanks so much for your input regarding opting for a pessary...yes, it is my old gynie who did my hyster who said she would do a 'tuck' with only 3 wks. off work and my new gynie, (who I have much more faith in) does the much more intense surgery using mesh and said 3 months off work for me. Her way is tempting but I really question it and my new guy said that type of repair might not hold up well for my prolapse situation. I think I'll hold off and try a pessary and need to talk to him about that...Corgilvr I like the idea that some pessaries can stay in for a month and can be in place even with sex. I need to research the different kinds and see my gynie again to see if he thinks a pessary will even help me. Thanks so much for everybody's input. I LOVE HYSTER SISTERS!!

HUGS,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register