Going back to work - 4 weeks or 6? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work - 4 weeks or 6? Going back to work - 4 weeks or 6?

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Going back to work - 4 weeks or 6?

I had a TAH on the 19th of January and am now wondering when would be the best time to return to work.

My post (academic manager) carried quite a lot of responsibilities. I manage a team and have to be on the ball on the time. I work interdepartmentally so some of my colleagues may not be fully aware of why I've been away for a month.

My job is not physical as such but is mentally demanding.

Right now, I'm having good and bad days or even good hours followed by a slump. I'm not sure if I'm up for performing 8 or more hours a day. Things like my memory and concentration are not as good as usual.

I can take longer if need be. Financially, it wouldn't be an issue. Right now, it's more a feeling of perhaps I should..

What have your experiences been of returning to work? When do you know it's the right time?

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Re: Going back to work - 4 weeks or 6?

Went back to office job today, 5 weeks exactly after TAH. Was feeling great then slump hit Friday after saying I'd to back today. Today wasn't painful, but sitting in office chair was harder than I expected, by end of day hard to get up and down just to go to copier, washroom, etc. Got home tonight, have been waited on hand and foot, haven't moved off couch yet. Belly swelling is up and I'm not so sure if I'll make a whole day tomorrow. There is so much to do and mentally I was really up to it but today was a lot harder than I expected. Somehow, sitting required muscles I hadn't being using?
Unread 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Well I'm six weeks post op and was schedule to go back today. Well I knew I'd been having pains in my belly and lots of cramping on Sat, but I just brushed it off and prepared on Sun for first day back on Mon. Well today came and I felt much more pain in belly (had laproscopic surg) called surgeon went in to visit she said I'd pulled some muscle in the area andI needed to rest and take it easy. I left the office without asking her any more questions because she's one of those docs that rushes you in and out! I called back to ask the recept to give her a message about if she wanted me to return to work Tues. and she said tell her Ill give her one more week out and that's it! well needless to say I'm honkerblonked she's acting like I never had major surgery with her and just wanted time out of work so I'm so upset and wish I'd never had my surgery with her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:16 AM

I am not released to go back to work until April 5th. I am a chef at a military academy so therefore I have HEAVY lifting of pots and pans and it is very fast paced. I am actually happy I do not have to return so soon as most of you do. I had abdominal hysterectomy where they removed everything except my cervix. I am almost 5 weeks post op and I am more sore in my tummy (all over) and back then I have been through the whole recovery. I HAVE been getting out more however and enjoying the sunny days. *HUGS* to you all and God bless you in your return to work and your recoveries!
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:20 AM

I also have a job that's mentally, but not physically, demanding. I went back to work 5 weeks after TAH with complications and did okay, but have had to take a couple of days off when I wasn't feeling well. I'm still going to the doctor with ongoing problems with hydronephrosis, so expect I'll be taking still more time off.

I think it actually helped my recovery to get back to work--it forces you to be a little more active and engaged. It helps to have an employer that will work with you and I could not have done it if I had a physical job.
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:58 AM

I had a SAH on Jan. 12th. I was ready to go back to work at week 4, but returned to my office desk job yesterday, just shy of 5 weeks post op. I feel terrific. My recovery was easy, smooth and I had no problems. I am doing everything now that I did pre-surgery, except for sex. I will wait for the 6 week mark for that. I have very, very little swelly belly in the evening. I am so glad this is all over with and I am at the stage that I am at. I hope others have recoveries similar to mine.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

You really have to listen to your body and your own intuition on this one. You had HUGE surgery and need time to recover mentally, physically and emotionally. If you can take the time off -- DO IT!! You won't regret taking more time off, but you might regret it if you go back before you're ready.
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:15 PM

I am a tutor in a high school and was originally going to go back at 4 weeks but with a small set back at week 2 decided to wait until 6 weeks. I am so happy I waited. I had to go right back to work from the minute I hit my room. There was not easing in! I have made it through 2 days with no problem and no excessive tiredness. I have made myself rest though just to be sure that I don't over do. My recommendation is to listen to what your body is telling you and if you can wait...wait.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register