I'd Love To See A Thread.... - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'd Love To See A Thread.... I'd Love To See A Thread....

Unread 08-18-2005, 08:42 AM
I'd Love To See A Thread....

I am just over two weeks post op, and so far things have been pretty uneventful. I stopped doing the pain pump a couple of hours after surgery (mainly because it was making me really sick) but once off it it I realized I didn't even need it, the ibuprofin they gave me was enough to keep the pain at bay. I took percesets for about three days after surgery and have only had to take it one night since then. I have had aches and pains here and there, but for the most part I am not taking any sort of pain medication at all (not even ibuprofen). My nerves are starting to regenerate now, so I am getting more painful twinges, but that's just a sign that I am healing.

I am sleeping through the night, have had no problems with insomnia at all, and really don't need to take a nap during the day either (only on days where I have done too much). I really want to get out and walk more, but my doctor has told me no long walks until 6 weeks, so that is out for now. I can't wait until I get to exercise, I have not lost any weight, but I really don't need to lose too much, maybe 20 pounds to be at the weight I would like to be, 10 pounds to be back at my "normal" weight. So, think that'll come with time. I have not had the lack of an appetite (wish I did, but I don't) so I am trying to watch what I eat, which is hard when you are feeling restless at home because you feel well enough to do stuff, but can't do anything.

I can't wait until I'm cleared, I'm hoping I'm one who can come back here in a couple of months and say that I feel 200% better then I did before and have countless energy. Before my hysterectomy I was always feeling drained, in pain and never wanted sex (due to endo/adeno), I can already feel a difference and I am starting to feel that H'ness that I haven't felt in years, can't wait untill all the healing pain is gone, and I feel like the young 35 year old that I should feel!

Take care,
Debra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 10:20 AM

Well, I think positive, and try to live positive...Not always successful. But, this operation, and the 6months previous have been an ordeal, but certainly not a time without lots of merit and growth. During my recuperation, my 13 year old son was so helpful. (All my kids were-so proud).My son showed an interest in the guitar, and so I taught him, while resting. He was quick to learn. Now, he has saved up money to buy a little guitar of his own! There have been many other benefits, some more personal growth things. I am 6 weeks, and the DR just told me 2 more weeks, so I guess the healing time isnt complete-I will relax and reflect a bit longer. Blessings, Mary
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:11 AM

I know what you all are saying. I felt kind of guilty that I wasn't feeling really awful. Physically I have been doing great, I've had some emotional lows which I've shared with you all, but I'll be the first to admit that they are personal issues that were there long before I ever even thought of having a hyst. I felt so awful before, that the way I feel now is such a welcome relief. Last night I was in WalMart and had to get a couple of things in the health supplies area, I walked by the pads and tampons and had to grin thinking about the times when I was reading lables and comparing products in that section. "Not Any More!" No more incontinence supplies either, I can sneeze without peeing! No more worrying about whether or not I smell like pee. (My co-workers seem to have lots to say when they work with someone who is smelly. I wondered what they said about me when my back was turned!) No more races to the bathroom, I can go my whole 8 hr shift without a trip to the potty.
My hair's gotten darker, I like the new shade.
I've met some wonderful new friends on line here.
I have a new GYN, who's terrific, not that my old one was bad, she's terrific too.
I have a few problems here and there, mood swings and sleeping, but for the most part this has been a very positive experience for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2005, 08:32 AM
A Positive Post

Yesterday was one of the best days I have had in a very, very long time! By the way, I had a TAH 2 months ago. I took my boys (ages 8 & 11) on a bike ride to Mc Donald's for breakfast. We hadn't done that for a long time! Later, my DH, my boys, and myself went to the go-kart track. After that, we all went to the park and played tennis. I had never played tennis before and I was running and sweating and having the time of my life!

It was so wonderful to actually do something active with my family again! My kids were so excited that mom was actually feeling good! So many times in the past, I sat on the sidelines watching while everyone else was having all the fun. I was so tired and in constant pain, not to mention bleeding like crazy most of the time. I finally feel like I'm my old self again, but even better.

I'm not bragging or tempting fate. I am just so, so thankful to be happy and healthy again. I feel so blessed. My heart and prayers go out to those Sisters who are having a difficult recovery.

I'm hoping others will share their positive experiences, too!
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM

What a wonderful day! Great to hear you are feeling so great.

I am looking forward to getting back to being a healthy, active happy mom to my kids and of course wife to dh.
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:35 PM

I am 6 months post op and I feel awesome !! What I have to deal with now is nothing compared to what my life was before !! I am so happy that I had the surgery I did!!! I FEEL GREAT !!! No pain - no complications - can eat anything and do anything I want !! AMAZING !
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I am 16 months post-op from my LSH. Would I do it again?? In a second to have the quality of life I have now. I am very pleased with my hyst results.

In post-op, I had a text book recovery with no complications. I got a greenlight for all activities at 6 weeks and I have not looked back. My LSH gave me my health and energy for life back. Something I took for granted in pre-op with fibroids. Now, I have no fibroids, no pelvic pressure, no periods, no bladder incontinence and no more b.c. A 0% chance of uterine cancer.

I respect and sympathize with ladies who have difficult recoveries and some who have post-op complications. That can be tough going!! And, on the other end of the spectrum are the Hyster Sisters who have easier recoveries. The ladies posting on this thread.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:08 PM

beachlady,

I hope your recovery goes smoothly and swiftly! Sending happy thoughts and prayers your way!
Unread 08-22-2005, 11:01 PM

YES! I agree 100%! Last night, although I had taken the day off from work due to contracting a nice snotty cold, I took my dog for the usual walk and just broke into a run because I felt SO good! I'm 8 weeks post-op and I, too, feel absolutely wonderful. Like someone gave me a totally new chance at life. Life is great painless, isn't it????? Yee haw!
Unread 08-22-2005, 11:09 PM

I'm about 10 weeks out (? lost count) and I feel great! Most of the time I forget I even had the surgery. I rarely notice any pain. Still a bit swelly, but it's not so bad. I'm wearing my pre-surgery pants again.

I just got back from a wonderful vacation. I enjoyed it thoroughy. No cramps, pads or tampons. I feel great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register