Concerned about pain meds - morphine - after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about pain meds - morphine - after hysterectomy Concerned about pain meds - morphine - after hysterectomy

Unread 10-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Concerned about pain meds - morphine - after hysterectomy

I am having my surgery in a week and one thing concerning me is that I will be put on morphine pump for first 24 hours and I have never had morphine in my life I do not know how I will react. That's a little concerning. I am confident that if it doesn't help with the meds that I can get the nurse to switch it to a dalaudid shot. Cause I think I had that once fir a gal bladder attack and it did the trick and
D gave me relief for a few hours. I am hoping to get Percocet for home because nirco and vicidin keep me awake. I have a high pain tolerance so I think I may be off the pain meds within 3-4 days. And just on 800 Motrin after that. But I am kinda worried about what the
Morphine will be like. What if I sleep and don't push the button and wake in lots of pain? I want to just sleep and not worry about pushing a button all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Re: Pain meds

Sometimes morphine pumps are set with a continuous dose and you only have to push the button if you need additional medication. Very few people are allergic to morphine and if it is not effective for controlling your pain, absolutely ask for something else. Toradol can be very effective (I have had it work better than morphine many times for my C-section patients) and does not make you feel weird, if that isn't enough then whatever you can get!!
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:47 AM

Thanks. The continuos pump you mentioned helped relieve my worries some thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2014, 04:52 AM

I wasn't offered morphine but I wish I was! I had dilaudid and it did not work well for me at all! I had better pain control with oxycodone pills that lasted longer than the shot that only lasted for an hour and was tough to get the nurse in the room in an expedient time to make sure I didn't have a lapse of time between shots.
Unread 10-07-2014, 04:58 AM

I had a dilaudid pump for a couple of days. I'm a light sleeper and the nurses were checking my vitals pretty regularly even at night, so I'd use that opportunity to pump if necessary. I don't like feeling loopy, so i didn't use it as much as i could've, but when I slept longer and had more pain, I could pump every 6 minutes as needed.
Unread 10-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Re: Concerned about pain meds - morphine - after hysterectomy

Thanks everyone. My hospital doesn't offer dilaudid pump. Only morphine so soon I guess I know if it does anything for me?? But if not hopefully I just say something and they try something else.
Unread 10-07-2014, 05:59 AM

I wasn't given a pump but I was given an IV dose of morphine when I got to my room and it took all the pain away for good. I'm one who doesn't like taking meds, especially heavy narcotics, if they're not needed so I was a little peeved at the nurse because after I got the morphine she gave me an 800 mg ibupropen AND a hydrocodone. She told me that I needed to stay on 'top of the pain' but I couldn't even tell if I had any pain. I came home that same day and took two Aleve and that was the last time I took anything. Pain never came back.

~Michele
Unread 10-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Wow. Only Aleve you ate one tough lady
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM

I had only tylenol and toradol in my iv, no narcotics at all. I had virtually no pain, and when they took my iv out later the night of my surgery (I had mine at 7:30 am) I never took anything else for pain. This was not because I was toughing it out and enduring the pain, it was because I actually didn't really have pain. Some slight discomfort, but the only time it actually hurt was when I coughed. I was pretty amazed about that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register