Headache from bowel prep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Headache from bowel prep? Headache from bowel prep?

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Headache from bowel prep?

Hi Ladies,
I had to do 2 bowel preps last week, one test was canceled, so I had to repeat 4 days later.. I agree, totally not fair. About an hour into the prep both time ( first phospho soda, second Colyght ) I got the chills and the head was throbbing... and stayed that way well into the next afternoon. Any ideas as to why? I was wondering it it might be caffeine withdrawal, low blood sugar, a reaction to the laxative or even high blood pressure. 2 days afterward my blood pressure was high, and I don't normally have a problem. They are rather salty tasting. And another question... any ideas of a clear drink that contains caffeine? I didn't consider Mountain Dew clear. and just couldn't find anything.. Will be having another prep before surgery and would like to be better armed.
Thank you so much,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:59 PM
about headache

Hi , this post is from Reeni,
I do know that regular tea contains caffeine.. so you might want to check with your pharmacist if that would be o. k. I do not really consider it "clear" , but you just never know... because sometimes they consider jello "clear". Go figure... Best of luck to you, Reeni
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:33 PM

Most all are considered clear even coffee with sugar but not cream. Don't drink red or purple b/c it can be misconstruded as blood in vomit. If you can see through it you can drink it.

Secondly I would be willing to bet that you are getting dehydrated with these bowel preps. They cause you to loose a lot of water. Where salt goes water will follow.

I say increase your volume intake and that should help some with the headaches at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Could it be a hunger headache? Low blood sugar? I got a headache from not being able to eat solid food. Mt Dew is clear, as well as sprite, Mello Yellow, etc. I was allowed tea and coffee w/o cream-but ask your doc his clear diet may be different( some docs allow coffee and tea others do not, go figure) Also it was mentioned no red or purple and this is very true, also if you have any bowel work done while they are in there it could look look blood. Some docs say awww you can have it b/c I am not doing a colonoscopy or anything, but I err to the side of caution.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi,
Yes Mountain Dew is clear! I was confused too on what was clear liquids before I had to do a clear liquid diet once. I would not consider coffee clear or cranberry juice, but my Dr is allowing that. Even allowed red and purple with this surgery, though not with a past colonoscopy. My Dr even said I could have non dairy creamer? That doesn't make sense to me and I am not going to do it. Scared it will mess something up I guess.
I also have a question for you, how bad is the colyte? I got the citrus berry flavor to mix in it, but I am not looking forward to it on Thurs!!!! Scare I won't be able to do it!
Headache wise, I would say due to dehydration and low blood sugar, but that is only my opinion!
Good luck! Tiffany
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:09 PM

My doctor said I should drink A LOT during the bowel prep and include broth and Gatorade or pedialyte (the stuff they give kids with diarrhea) to make use I did'nt get dehydrated or get my electrolytes out of balance. Sounds like one of those might have happened.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register