Scheduled TAH pre-op....bowl prep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op....bowl prep? pre-op....bowl prep?

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
pre-op....bowl prep?

So I had my Dr office pre-op today. He answered all the questions I got off here plus some!!! I have been having a hard time mentally so he gave me some "chill pills" Anyway, I have to do the bowl prep the day before. I'm ok with that (I've had 5 colonoscopies thus far so I'm kinda used to it). I didn't think the prep for this would be as major as it is for a colonoscopy but it is. Saying that, I have to drink the gallon of Go-lytle (yuck) I just had to do this in March for my 3 year colonoscopy (I've been growing colon polyps since I was 8). Anyway, on to the question: that stuff makes me vomit!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on making it go down (and stay)? Thank for all your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Re: pre-op....bowl prep?

Can you use Miralax instead? I've heard that is easier on the tummy--maybe your doc's office has some other options or pointers.

Not looking fw to the bowl prep either. I had my 1st colonoscopy this March to check for obstructions--did the gallon of miralax/gatorade. It was ok, till the end...then I did start the gaggies.
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlsolo View Post
Anyway, on to the question: that stuff makes me vomit!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on making it go down (and stay)? Thank for all your help!!!
OMG, same for me! I had to have a colonoscopy and I could not get more than 3-4 glasses down before I started throwing up every glass I drank after that. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be cleaning out my tummy or my bowels! haha.
But those 4 glasses is all it took and there were no problems. Maybe we are not all supposed to drink a gallon of the stuff?
I feel for you having to do that. I wish you the best!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM

I have to do a 2 day bowel prep. Never had to do anything like this... no colonoscopy needed so far. Now this is making me nervous. I gag just brushing my tongue with a toothbrush. I sense I am in trouble.
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM

For this I only needed mag citrate, but I've had the golytely before. My technique: chill it well, use crystal lite, and chug it down with a crystal lite chaser. Even then it was dicey. I don't envy you, I'm glad mine is done. Good luck.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Oh my goodness. Isn't that stuff HORRIBLE?!?!? I had to take it for my lap and D&C. It made me sick, too. Here's the only thing I found that helped me. I picked the orange flavor packet. When I drank it, I held my nose. You'll still taste it and it'll feel thicker than water. I imagined it was strawberry-flavored milk. Then, before I unpinched my nose, I took a sip of orange gatorade. That took care of the aftertaste before I could get to it. Also, make sure you shake the container often and keep it as cold as possible.
The nurse I talked with said just to do my best and to stop or slow down if I felt sick.
I'm not looking forward to doing it again, but now I know how I'll get through it. I really hope this helps. You're in my thoughts!
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM

i did not have to try it this time for my bowel prep - had the colonoscopy the day before the hysterectomy - and they had me do miralax in crystal light - but a suggestion given to me by a friend was to suck on a peppermint (strong would probably work best) to "numb" the taste buds of your tongue to help you be able to swallow the go lytely (who was the sicko who named it that?)
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks all!!! I'm gonna try the orange/gatorade thing. I've only had to do the gallon thing once (I've always done phospho-soda) and that was in March. Puked my guts out!!! I figure I'll drink as much as I can as quick as I can and hope for the best. At least this will be the last time for 5 years (that's my next colonoscopy). Yum, yum!!!

PS. that is a horrible name!!! It must have been a man who was trying to be funny!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register