Antibiotics before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Antibiotics before surgery? Antibiotics before surgery?

Unread 06-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Antibiotics before surgery?

Okay --

I think this question got lost in my other post/thread. So I am trying it in a new spot.

Does anyone else have to take antibiotics before going into surgery? In addition to all the bowel prep stuff, I have 3 kinds of antibiotics to take ... 1 pill per hour of each kind, from 8-11 pm before surgery. On a clear liquid diet. Then nothing after midnight.

Anyone else? How do you keep all of this medicine in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2007, 02:35 PM

I had the bowel prep which was no fun. But necessary since they were going to be all over in there. I would think perhaps the antibiotics are the same kind of thing, jsut to be sure and have it in your system in case they run into some nasty germies. Nothing after midnight is because of the anesthetic and nausea.

Just think, you will be on the other side very, very soon.!!
Unread 06-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Hey Blue-moon,

Yep, all that I went through as well, however my pre-op antibiotics were through the IV hours before surgery. It's for all the little germies as daffodil mentioned.

You'll be fine soon, the bowel prep was tiring...running in and out of the bathroom, but well worth the relief of having this all behind me now!

Chin up, and try to take the meds with chicken/beef broth, whatever you like, and go slowly, don't gulp! It's well worth the effort!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Yup, I have at least 2 different kinds of antibiotics to take in addition to the bowel prep. I expect that the day before surgery is going to be a tough one!!!!
Unread 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I had to take 2 different kinds at 1, 3, and 9 pm the day before. I can't remember now, but I think there were 3 pills of one kind and 2 of the other that I took each time.
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

My doc gave me IV antibiotics when I got to the hospital, right before the surgery. One was flagil (sp) and I'm not sure what the other was. I'm glad he did because I had no problems with infection after. I never even ran a fever. Maybe you can call your doc and ask him for the IV kind?? Good luck!!
Unread 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM

I had to have a certain antibiotic (besides the other antibiotics they give you) before surgery because of a heart murmur that I have due to a leaking valve....and the antibiotic is a preventative measure against getting some kind of an infection in my heart following surgery. Do you have a murmur??
Unread 06-13-2007, 02:10 PM

i have to take antibiotics because of a heart murmur but the dr always does them prior to the surgery...through the iv. hope everything went well for you
Unread 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Nope -- no murmur. But that reminds me that I have appt with the dentist for my son who does and I need to get him on antibiotics before I take him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunieB
I had to have a certain antibiotic (besides the other antibiotics they give you) before surgery because of a heart murmur that I have due to a leaking valve....and the antibiotic is a preventative measure against getting some kind of an infection in my heart following surgery. Do you have a murmur??
Unread 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM

i have to take neomycin and some other kind to be a safety net of sorts because of the nature of the surgery.

my LAVH/BSO is tomorrow

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register