TLH On Edge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
TLH On Edge

New here and feeling lost and scared about what a doctor suggests to do for this long suffering and pain. A total laproscopic hysterectomy. I have it scheduled but am still trying to decide on whether or not to go through with it.

Well, I am trying to finish my degree during this terrible horrible pain in my uterus and ovaries. The wake up call is that I failed my algebra final (I took it in pain, on painkillers, and there was pain leading up to it while I had to prepare and study for it). I ended up failing the exam. Gee, what a surprise. Feeling like a total failure today because of it. True, math is not my strong subject, but put the pain in the mix and how on earth did I think I had a chance? So, here I am, mad at this disease, not knowing if I go through the surgery if it will really improve the quality of my life. I suppose the two major things I am concerned about (other than surviving through it I never had surgery) are sexual dysfunction after it as I am a single woman in a relationship that I would like to keep and urinary inconstinence (not sure if I am spelling or pronouncing correctly). Sometimes the devil that you know is better than the devil we don't know. I've been using that saying a lot lately. I am feeling lost, alone (until now with this site) scared and edgy, I don't like myself this way. I could use some good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Re: TLH On Edge

Sounds to me like you should do it. After reading lots of posts about the feeling of sexual dysfuntions lately, it sounds like most have no change or it was better. I have my surgery tomorrow, so I cannot tell you from experience though. At school if you explain what is going on to your teachers, they will probably work with you. I have had many surgeries for various things and do not regret any of them. It sounds like you would nor regret this one either.
Stay strong.
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Thanks. I know, I am leaning more toward it. For the most part, that is what I am reading too about the sexual side effects. As for school, I have the Dean on my side, they have given me extra time already and I failed an algebra final (I hate to always put the excuse on it (it is true that I stink at math) but I know that if I weren't in such pain that week of the exam and on the day of it, I think I would have at least passed it. I could try to talk to the Dean to see if they would allow me to take it again during a week where I am pretty sure there will be no pain. But I am just sick of negotiating this disease. Sick of it. That is why it is my time to go through with it. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow. It's all about positivity. I'll be looking out for your posts about your post-op progress on here soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Seems to me your starting to schedule your life around your period.... that should be a big red flag!!! That was one of mine... deciding to plan trips to my dad's when it wasn't "that time" so that I was curled in the fetal position for 5 days of a 7 day visit that cost me 1000 in plane fare... hmmmm Surgery is a risk for everyone... crossing the street or driving down the road is also a risk. You need to sit and think about how you want to live the rest of your life. Can you continue down the road you are on... and remember.. it will only get worse (sorry to be a downer with this one) as you get older.

I ignored signs and symptoms that would have allowed me to get this done over a year ago... I suffered through a year of running to the restroom due to gushing, fevers, pain, headaches, and a variety of other nonsense 1 week a month. I wish I would have broke down and gone to the dr way earlier and this would be done.

I am a realist - if we can fix this... fix it. No nonsense...just do it. Granted surgery itself doesnt scare me.. I have dealt with gallbladder and multiple knee issues. Will admit this one has some anxiety attached due to the menopause thing... but... there are things that can be done that will help with this. My mother had a TAH 30 years ago and lived a wonderful life until alzheimers took her in her late 70s...She recovered well and never looked back... With today's technology I should be back up on my feet quicker and with less pain!

Weigh the quality of your life...then make your decision. Then look forward and not back!!

Good Luck!
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Thanks to all of you who have posted back to me. I had to laugh when I read something about that I am starting to schedule my life around ovulation/periods. Huh! I've been living this way now for approx. 5 years. Boy is it time. Thank goodness for this site and women like you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register