Should I wait longer to see if the ablation worked? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I wait longer to see if the ablation worked? Should I wait longer to see if the ablation worked?

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Should I wait longer to see if the ablation worked?

After many months of heavy bleeding that lasted weeks with huge clots, and trying a D&C, I finally had an ablation in early June. The dr. told me that all went well with the procedure, but that full results wouldn't be known until October.

For the first few months after the procedure, I got my "period" every 10 days, and although it wasn't heavy, the bleeding was there, and pretty bad cramps. I thought for sure the procedure had failed; however, he had told me this might happen and that this didn't mean the procedure wasn't successful. He specifically told me to give it until October, unless the bleeding was very heavy.

Then I went 7 full weeks with no bleeding at all. I thought I was in the clear and was so excited! I had some mild cramps at times, but no bleeding.

Then last week....my period started. Horrible cramps and while the bleeding isn't heavy like it was before the ablation, it is definitely not "light." I am soaking super tampons and it's just like a heavy period. I am so discouraged. It's now October, and I don't know if I should call the dr. because the ablation failed, or since I went 7 full weeks without any blood if I should wait it out.

What keeps popping up in my mind is that if I do end up needing a hysterectomy, I really want to have it this calendar year since I've already met my deductible. Terrible reason, I know, but finances are tight and those couple thousand dollars are a big deal.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Re: Should I wait longer to see if the ablation worked?

Whether or not you should have a hysterectomy is something only you can decide (with the advice of your doctor) - but I also had an ablation in June and I was told I would know inside of 3 months if it worked.

Mine was a total failure. I got my period a week after the ablation (right on schedule) and since then I've gone from 5 days of heavy bleeding to 9-12 days...and two months since then I've had an extra period of 6+ day of heavy flow.

I actually bleed much more after the ablation than before.

And the following is just anecdata, but when I told my hematologist that the ablation had failed and I was scheduled for a hysterectomy he nodded his head and said he knew it was coming. He said that of his patients well over 80% who get ablations to stop the bleeding end up with hysterectomies because the bleeding either stays the same or gets worse. I know those are different stats than you'll read or hear from a gyn, so maybe it's different among the severely anemic, I don't know.

Personally, I'm glad I had the ablation - because I know me and if I hadn't I'd have always wondered if there was a less invasive way to stop the madness. I tried, it didn't work, and now I'm at peace with they hyster being the right decision.

It's my understanding that signs that the ablation was working is either no bleeding, minimal bleeding, or even normal bleeding on cycle. The fact that you're still having excessive bleeding is outside the parameters of what I would consider a successful ablation. Whether you need a hysterectomy ...how severely are your issues impacting your life and/or are they causing other medical problems?
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:36 AM

Thank you for your input. Since I was on Day 8 of my period with no signs of letting up, and it seemed to even be getting heavier, I made an appt to see my dr. and went in the same day.

He said the fact that my bleeding isn't getting better, and in fact is getting worse, is an indication that the ablation failed. He is recommending a robotic hysterectomy....and I am all for it. We have tried several medications, a D&C, an ablation, I rejected the IUD idea, and nothing has worked to stop this bleeding which has now been plaguing me for over a year. I'm ready.

We'll set the date once insurance approves it, but we're looking at mid-December. Guess I'll be spending a lot more time on these boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2013, 07:30 AM

My ablation in 2008 sounds like yours. Better, but still bad. Since then, my Hpv acted up again, the reason for my hysterectomy. Precancerous cells. I'm almost 50 and elected to have it all removed. And while my doc said it was no emergency, I'd also met my deductible this year. First time ever. Good luck with whatever you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register