TAH Bacterial vaginosis after hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bacterial vaginosis after hysterectomy? Bacterial vaginosis after hysterectomy?

Unread 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Bacterial vaginosis after hysterectomy?

This is week 11 for me. In weeks 5 and 6 I was on antibiotics for a bladder infection that required two rounds and two different drugs to cure.

I thought I had a yeast infection last week and bought over the counter yeast cream. When it didn't fix the problem I was back at my surgeons office this week. They took a sample and looked under the microscope and she told me I had bacterial vaginosis.

This was not my surgeon but someone in her practice. She said she's not sure it is related to my hysterectomy. She said it might because I was celibate for so many weeks and then become active again.

I'm 42 yrs old and have never had this. Is this something that is common after hystectomy or does it have any connection at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Re: Bacterial vaginosis after hysterectomy?

When I went in for my two week check up, I told the doctor I had a discharge and odor which really concerned me. She also took a sample and looked under the microscope and I was diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis. She told me that so much is opened up and moved around it is not uncommon to develop. I was put on a heavy duty antibiotic for 7 days (worst tasting horse pill ever!). The discharge/infection cleared up but I got a very bad burning sensation on the skin of my vagina. Went back to the doctor and they prescribed a cream saying the discharge caused an irritation. This is just what we need after having surgery. All is well now but what a pain in the you know what!
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM

She is prescribing me 5 days of vaginal antibiotic gell. Plus the pill for yeast because she said it can then cause a yeast infection. Oh joy. It hurts like hell already down there!!

She said my cuff still looks good, so there is that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM

I think because I was two weeks post op I got the joy of taking the disgusting antibiotic so I think you'll be much happier with the gel. It is so uncomfortable, I understand! Hope you are feeling better very soon.
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM

I'm glad to hear they cleared it up for you!! It feels like a yeast infection on steroids. Hoping it starts feeling better soon. Thank you so much for sharing your experience
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM

You're welcome! I wish relief for you!!! It's such an annoyance, isn't it? You think surgery has solved a problem then wham - a burning vajajay!!!! LOL Feel better
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM

I am starting to feel like a horrible wife. I let myself get way too sick pre surgery and our sex life took a nose dive then post surgery we haven't been able to start back with regularity and now the infection. He's been really great but he is a man. And a man with a high sex drive. Not like it has been a great year for me either but still.
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM

I haven't even gotten so far to think of sex yet! Lol. Of course my husband has but he's being very patient. I will see what the dr says tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Good Luck! Hopefully you get the all clear

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register