6 wks - Sudden incision problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 wks - Sudden incision problem 6 wks - Sudden incision problem

Unread 06-21-2007, 11:12 PM
6 wks - Sudden incision problem

My incision (bikini line) seems to have been healing well so far but a couple of days ago I felt burning/pain on the left side of my incision. I didn't really think too much about it mainly because all week I've just felt yucky-almost like I had the flu. I've been achy all over, had chills last night and this afternoon I was running a low-grade fever. A couple of hours ago, I just happened to check my incision (I have a bit over tummy "overhang" so I have to make an effort to look at my wound). I noticed that the side that was hurting is very, very red and oozing (clear discharge). I'm wondering if I have an infection considering how I've felt all week. Anyone have this kind of experience? I will call Dr. in the morning but since I can't sleep I thought I'd post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2007, 11:22 PM

You should call your dr I had an infection in my incision from my appendix surgery that appeared 6 weeks later.
Unread 06-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Hi Sasson,
Yup! Sounds like Infection. I've had 2 or 3 now and I'm in my eighth week. Sooner you get on antibiotics the better. They have had to keep my incision open to ensure the infection is gone and the holes are healed before it closes. I'm still having my 2 open spots packed with something called iodisorb? It looks gross but it seems that this, combined with antibiotics, is now working to stop infection.
Take care of yourself and good luck!
Sharlene from Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2007, 06:18 AM

My incision never came together, and is about four inches wide, and 1 inch deep. I am now attached to a wound-vac, and absolutely miserable. Anyone else have this problem?
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi sisters,

Just back from the doctor's office. She said, "Well, it's really unusual for an incision to become infected 6 weeks out...but yours is infected." Fortunately, she said I caught it before it got too bad - there doesn't seem to be much fluid buildup underneath. She gave me a heavy duty antibiotic and said to keep an eye on it. Just wanted to give you an update.

Take care everybody!
Unread 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Take care! Glad to you got it checked and are going to be on the mend soon!
Unread 06-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi drp11, I have also had to be put on a wound vac. I am almost 6 weeks post op and at 4 1/2 weeks about 4 inches of my incision suddenly started squirting dark brown blood. Doctor had to open it back up to clean out old blood clots and various gunk. I had to pack the wound twice a day for a week until the wound vac became available. Doctor says this will greatly expedite healing process. I sure hope so. Do you have the Freedom model? At least I have some mobility with this unit. I hope you also have increased healing with this. Take care of yourself and good luck.
Unread 06-25-2007, 04:52 AM

I've been making great progress with the wound vac- my incision is shrinking quickly. (down to 6 cm wide, and 2 cm deep). It's pretty handy, in a shoulder case with the long tube. It just has such a terrible odor to it. I see the nurse today (she comes every other day) and hopefully she'll give me an idea of when I might be done with it. (surgery was June 8) They seem to think the portion of the incision that did not come apart ( 2 inches) might do just that. I'm waiting for that to happen.............
Unread 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Great news. How long have you been on the wound vac? Did it take long to shrink that much? I have nurse today, then doctor tomorrow, so I am hoping they tell me mine has shrunk also. Keep on healing!!! And I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of your incision stays closed.
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:11 AM

I've been on the wound vac one week! It has really come together quickly....The nurse this morning said she thinks I could be done with it by Friday....the other part of the incision has three little pinholes in it........don't know what that means in terms of it opening up.
Hope your appointments go well! Good luck....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register