Healing time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Healing time

Hi ladies;

I had my surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I just wanted to tell you the most important thing I've learned (thus far). We all heal differently and at different lengths of time. One day you will feel great, and the next you will be weak.

My job is physically demanding and I'm in pretty good shape for a woman who is 47 years old. Prior to my surgery I would walk four hilly miles a day at a pretty good clip with no problem. I weight trained on a regular basis (no, I don't have bulging muscles, but I was toned) Soooo, I thought the surgery would be uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I thought MY recovery time would be quicker than most. Ha! Time for me to get real (as Dr. Phil would say).

For me, I've found I have to take it easy. I've done nothing but watch TV and read. Oh, I do walk around the house and sometimes out in the front yard. I did try walking to the corner on day seven (about 1/4 mile up and back) and paid for it as soon as I got home. My belly hurt so bad I had to go back on the pain pills which I'd stopped taking. My mind is ready to do the dishes, do laundry, tidy the house etc, but my body is not.

Sometimes I read posts on this board where other women are able to do so much more than I can, and I'm flat out jealous. So the lesson I've learned is that you have to take it one day at a time. Do what you feel you can (within your doctor's orders) and when you get tired...you're done. Give yourself permission to take the time you need to get well and don't let anyone rush you.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Healing time

Thanks SO much Kathy. I am also 47, toned, could do 4 hilly miles no problem...and my biggest fear is not being able to stay in bed. I am a very active (almost hyper) person..who never even watches TV! Am so scared I will overdue..glad you posted and will print it out to remind me. THANKS!
Unread 05-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Healing time

You shouldn't be doing anything, but resting most of the time and walking once in a while. I'm in excellent physical shape, health, and am 36. I rested entirely for those first two weeks. I fed myself and went to the bathroom. That's it! This healing is too important to try and be superwoman. Enjoy!!! How often do we get to sit around without feeling guilty that we should be doing something other than sitting on our bumps!!! Personally, I enjoyed every single minute of my 2 week vacation on the couch. Think I'm going to designate my hysterversary as sit on my bump day, do nothing at all and not feel a twinge of guilt about it. Once a year pampering and celebration of my fantastic new life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Healing time

I turn 48 next week, and am out of shape due to one agonizing year of dealing with a chronic foot injury. Weight gain, arthritis flareups, loss of all aerobic conditioning. sigh. But now I feel great (4 and 1/2 weeks post op) and plan to regain the ground I lost. Doing it slowly, getting impatient, but trying to be good.
Unread 05-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Healing time

Hi, Kathy and thanks for your note. I really enjoyed reading it.

I'm 45, in very good health (prior to surgery, walked 3+ miles every day in Manhattan -- not hilly but you better be agile and fast if your're there -- lol!) and active almost to "hyper". I had my TAH BSO on 4/17 so I'm just about 3 1/2 weeks past surgery. For me, there was a marked improvement in the amount that I could do after 3 weeks -- not that I'm pushing it -- but it was noticeable. (I still need my naps.)

Before the surgery, I remember thinking that I'd bounce back pretty quickly. Boy! was I surprised!! It amazed me that I could feel good (i.e., no pain to speak of) but still not be able to walk more than a few short blocks without feeling like I couldn't go any further. Wow.

I emptied the dishwasher yesterday for the first time since my surgery! I was reminded again that living with my husband is like living with "Pigpen"! The man is an angel straight from Heaven but he's myopic and just can't see the dirt. My days are numbered! lol :-)

Continued good recovery to all and God Bless!
Unread 05-13-2003, 06:30 AM
Healing time

P.S. to my last post:

Just have to say that I LOVED Sheri's idea of a "bump day" on our respective hysterversaries! What a great idea!!
Unread 05-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Healing time

Thank-you to LA's Finest for one of the best postings I have read yet. I know I have designed life at this point with a lot on my plate, and your posting is a gentle reminder not to compare or expect things based on other's experiences.
I had envisioned that having a positive attitude towards it weighed more than even physical condition, but even that is an illusion I have created in my mind.
I have an intense two-week training five weeks after TAH, and perhaps moving out of the country to take a teaching position by late August. My partner is a wildland firefighter, so his presence to help out after surgery will depend on no fires breaking out.
Still, with all these crazy factors, your advice of one day at a time and we are each different makes me stop in my tracks, erase the script I had begun writing for post-op and try to remain open to what is presented to me at that time. Thank You.
Unread 05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Hello!

It's nice to see you again post-op friend!

As you know I'm learning the hard way to slow down and recover. Yesterday I had a somewhat active day...and Saturday I went out, picked out livingroom furniture, went to the beach for lunch, walked around the stores, then shopped for a computer desk! OUCH!

Sunday I collapsed in bed and slept and felt soooooo sore!

Did I learn??? Of course not! lol...Monday I was back out going to the doc's office, visiting with a neighbor and then off to a couple of stores...this time driving myself (hubby drove on Saturday).

I'm now home and resting...because the pain is unbearable.

When will I learn?

I hate being home because it makes me depressed...I don't know why, but I feel depressed when I'm inactive, so recovery for me is always difficult, but I know I must do it to heal right.

So today I am home.

Hope you are healing well...it is good to see you again!

Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register