furniture? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
furniture?

Hi sisters,
Today my DH and I were discussing what position to sit and lie in would be best and that led to practicing on the furniture that we have. Of course because I haven't had the surgery yet it wasn't quite the same as what it really well be like. I have an easy chair that doesn't recline but has a foot rest. That is going to be very difficult because I am 5 foot tall and to get in it now I have to put my right knee in it and twist around to sit all the say back in it. NOT GOOD! Then I tried laying down on the couch and getting up from it. I could roll to my side and manage to sit on the couch but would need help to get up. The couch is a hide a bed so it is low to the ground but firm. SO SO! Then I sat on my computer chair that seemed to be JUST RIGHT as far as width and heighth to get in and out of. The only problem is next to impossible to sleep in. I don't think Goldylocks had this much trouble!!!! What do you think? Has anyone else wondered before hand how they were going to do this? Besides lots and lots of pillows what else did you do to get settled?
My husband wants me to check into renting some kind of medical furniture???!!!
Thanks,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2005, 07:40 PM
furniture?

I did the same thing.Even thought about getting a bed delivered.Once in the hospital after recovery and up and moving I realized what I had at home was just fine.Bed,couch,whatever.I am 5'5",so maybe that's different.Can you get in and out of your bed ok now?....maybe just a little step stool or something of the like.Hope it all works out,I bet you'll be just fine!!.....good luck to you.
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
furniture?

One hint about the couch - when I was going to be left alone for the first time post-op my biggest issue was going to be getting off the couch. I had been lying/sitting/slouching here most of the time. What I did was take cushions from another couch or patio furniture to raise me up so that when I could roll to my side and sit up I was higher and could stand by using the muscles in my legs rather than my abdomen. Do you have any such extra cushions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM
furniture?

I have a sofabed in the family room and decided to use that for the first few days post-op. To make it a little more comfy - even with the premium mattress its still a sofa bed, I bought one of those memory foam pads from Costco. Getting in and out of bed wasn't too bad and I had the arms of the sofabed to grab onto when I wanted to get up.

After a few days I navigated the stairs and afterwards slept in my bed.
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:51 PM
furniture?

Thanks sisters,
I know that there is nothing like actually going through it to find out but...The advice is much appreciated. I do have pillows that I can use to lift me up higher off the couch to get up from. It should be fun!!!!!!
Debbie
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:03 PM
furniture?

I sat on my couch (kind of in a reclining position) with a large foot rest (ottoman). Medabead pad on my back, heating pad on my stomach (with a small pillow against my stomach). Often I put a pillow under my legs on the foot rest. I slept in my waterbed with no problem too (used my small pillow against my stomach at nigh).

Sitting at a desk is still hard on my pelvic area so I would avoid doing that for as long as you can.

Just make sure to grab the side of the chair or couch to pull yourself up slowly. I used a body pillow next to me in bed for awhile and it helped wihen I got out of bed.

Make sure to get up often to walk around a bit. Walking slowly will keep things moving.
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:57 AM
truely a redneck

You know you're a redneck when your couch is up on wheels.... Sounds like a good one. Anyway, I have found that our couch is the most comfortable place for me to sleep but it was hard to get up from it. So my brothers came up with the idea of putting the couch up on wheels. They put one at each corner to make sure that it was real stable. Also, my mom put foam rubber on the couch and covered it with a silk sheet. That worked really good because I could slide in and out easier and the couch being up futhers was nice as well. I'm sure that my house will not be featured in Better Homes and Gardens, but oh well.
Unread 05-25-2005, 10:05 AM
furniture?

I am sorry Marsha but your post made me laugh I can just see me sliding right off that silk sheet right on to the floor plop! I thiknk I am going to hit the couch and try a make shift ottoman or use a wedge type pillow I forget what they are called and recline sideways. I tried to practice but it is so easy to cheat.
Marg
Unread 05-25-2005, 12:39 PM
furniture?

Jewl3,
I noticed that you said you slept in your waterbed afterwards. I also have a waterbed and have wondered if I would be able to sleep in it. I had planned to sleep in the spare bedroom (regular bed) or on the couch. Did you have a hard time getting out of the waterbed? Mine is 80% waveless, but still "squishy" and you sort of have to climb out of it. That would be great to sleep in my own bed!
My MIL wants to rent a hospital bed for my recovery. I didn't really think that was necessary, but I also haven't been through it yet.
Unread 05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
furniture?

Do any of you know if insurance will pay for a lift chair or hospital bed? Just kind of wondered. I decided to go ahead with the breast reduction same day as the abd hyst so I think given what you guys are saying I may have a little trouble getting up.
Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register