Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous -  doctor said it will be similar to a c-section Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section

Unread 08-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section

I have my surgery on Friday and my doctor said it will be similar to a c-section except without a baby. She is removing my uterus, tubes, and cervix. If the ovaries look good they are remaining intact. I have had a previous brain bleed, kidney stones, and tough pregnancies. I'm 41 and my doctor said I have multiple fibroids and one large 8cm one. With a large fibroid do you all feel pressure in you pelvic area? I also had surgery for a low back ruptured disc and I'm thinking the fibroid played a role in that. Any insight is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section

4nicole, Please try not to be afraid. I had my surgery 13 days ago and I was nervous too. But even with a few hitches along the way, I already feel better than I did before surgery. The pain is gone! And the cancer biopsies were negative!
So many lovely ladies here, of all ages and stages of life have been right where you are. You are not alone.
Be ready. I prepped meals and froze them, enough for 2 weeks. All are crockpot or stove top meals that my husband or teenage boys have been easily making.
You will need larger, loose fitting pants and panties. And i bought 2 large rectangular cold packs on Amazon Prime that are large enough for the back, so they lay nicely across my belly.
Pre-clean, because you won't be able to do much for several weeks.
When your prep. You will feel better. And pray. You won't be alone
Unread 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Re: Very Nervous

Nicole. I'm a former fibroid bearer. Mine doubled from 5cm to 10cm in 4 months and acquired a bunch of rowdy roommates. Some women do feel pain and pressure because of fibroids. While I didn't, I was experiencing a few things pre-op that I didn't think were related to my lumpy uterus - namely a leaky bladder and loose bowels. Both of those have completely gone away post-op, and I recognize that the fibroids (doc lost count after 15), were wreaking havoc on my bladder and digestive tract.

I wouldn't venture a guess if your fibroid outright caused the disc rupture. The uterus sits pretty low in the pelvis and the intestines are between it and your lower spine.

For me, I don't miss my ex-uterus Ol' Lumpy at all .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM

I'm 5 days post op and I will tell you, please try not to be too scared. I was terrified in the days before and now it's over I'm like "what was I so scared about?". Yes it hurts, no one believes it won't, but it is bearable. Tell your anesthesiologist how scared you are and they will give you something in your IV to calm you down, best thing ever!

No matter what the doctor says, the pain is NOT the same as a c/section (I have had 3) and recovery is slower. By day 5 of my last c/s (albeit 10 years ago) I actually drove, fast forward to today and going up and down stairs is about as energetic as it gets. I walked around the block yesterday and will do again later.

My fibroids were large and my uterus the size of a 20 week pregnancy and I am very glad to have them gone. They caused my lower abdominal and lower back pain and I am looking forward to a life without them.

Good luck, we are all here on your side.
Unread 08-17-2016, 02:20 PM

I have no advice as I haven't had my surgery yet and I'm brand new to this site, I just wanted to sympathize, and give you a ((hug)), you've gone through some tough procedures, and you'll get through this one too.

I can say that yes, for me, pressure in pelvic area. I feel full all the time and tummy area achy. I have continuous dull pressure in my lower back that radiates around my waistline. The right side one presses hard into my hip bone and I have continuous dull pain there and occasional needle sensations down my leg and bottom of foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
I'm a former fibroid bearer. Mine doubled from 5cm to 10cm in 4 months and acquired a bunch of rowdy roommates..
Thank you so much for this, I had my first big laugh today! I actually looked down just now and told them they were getting evicted, and had another laugh (well, more tears too). They also stopped counting after 15 for me also.
Unread 08-17-2016, 05:39 PM

I haven't had surgery yet but lately when I sit I have a hard time breathing and my feet fall asleep. Time for these big suckers to go!
Unread 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
Nicole. I'm a former fibroid bearer. Mine doubled from 5cm to 10cm in 4 months and acquired a bunch of rowdy roommates. Some women do feel pain and pressure because of fibroids. While I didn't, I was experiencing a few things pre-op that I didn't think were related to my lumpy uterus - namely a leaky bladder and loose bowels. Both of those have completely gone away post-op, and I recognize that the fibroids (doc lost count after 15), were wreaking havoc on my bladder and digestive tract.

I wouldn't venture a guess if your fibroid outright caused the disc rupture. The uterus sits pretty low in the pelvis and the intestines are between it and your lower spine.

For me, I don't miss my ex-uterus Ol' Lumpy at all .
Cussette, i just realized my leaky bladder is gone too!! OMG! Im so happy! I had not realized it till I read your post! Lol!
Unread 08-18-2016, 03:18 AM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section

Yes, I feel the pressure you're talking about. I have one large fibroid: 9cm & a bunch of others -Too many to see/count I'm told & they're pressing on my bladder so I frequently have to urinate.
I sometimes have lower back pain when I exert myself too long & I'm guessing it has to do with all the extra belly weight. I'm not in any pain otherwise but I look like I'm about ready to give birth to bouncing baby basketball (my primary doctor's exact words)

Like you, I'm pretty nervous but honestly ready to be rid of these fibroids once & for all & get back into a normal pair of jeans. I saved all the pants I "outgrew" with the hopes I could wear them again someday. I'm keeping my eye on the prize!..

You keep your eye on the prize too. It helps take away some of the nervousness.
When all is said & done it will all be worth it in the end I believe..

Good luck sister.. & to quote of one of my favorite classmates at school:
"Don't stress!"

((hugs))
Unread 08-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy: Very Nervous - doctor said it will be similar to a c-section

Hi! Welcome! It is absolutely normal for you to be nervous, scared, but please know that you will be ok. I was most terrified of not waking up from anesthesia. As others have suggested, talk to your Dr and let your anesthesiologist know so they plan to give you the 'happy jiuce'. Let them know, too, if you're susceptible to motion sickness, nausea or headaches from anesthesia. They can give you something for it as well.

My fibroid was 16-17 cm; had to have a TAH. Prior to surgery, all the symptoms I had were similar to those in menopause. My surgeon told me that once I was completely healed, my body would show me exactly how much the fibroid affected me without knowing it. At this point I now know it was affecting my bladder & bowels.

Hang in there and remember we're all here for you!
Unread 08-18-2016, 08:30 PM

I know it's hard not to worry, but as the other sisters have well stated, have trust in your doctor and in your decision.

Here is an article you might find interesting since your Dr. mentioned a C-Section:
How Does A C Section Compare to a Hysterectomy?

I too had huge twisted fibroids that were pressing on my bladder and other organs. I was thin at that time (that ship has since sailed) and I looked as if I had a bowling bowl under my clothes. I could barely see my toes. My lower back was always sore - probably from the alien fibroids growing and frolicking.

As others have suggested, please speak to both your doctor and anethesiologist to discuss your anxiety. In the meantime, when you feel your nerves are getting the best of you, make time for yourself by doing things you enjoy. Read, watch favorite movies, try yoga or meditation, walking briskly, soothing music and tea before bed - anything that will help distract you in a positive way.

Hugs and you can and will do this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register