Scheduled TAH Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Unread 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Is there any question that you can think of that you wish you had asked (but didn't out of embarrassment, fear or just plain not knowing what to expect) your doctor before or after surgery. I have my pre-op with my gyn next Friday and in additional to that awesome list on this site, have made a list of my own questions, but, of course, I feel like I'm missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Re: Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

I asked my physician at my pe-op:

What type of anesthia will be used?
What kind of pain medicine will I be sent home with?
Does having a hysterectomy prevent yeast infections?
Will I need to do a bowel prep?
What foods should I eat days prior to my surgery and afterwards?
Will I be intubated?
Where will my surgery performed?(my doctor is affiliated with several hospitals in Houston)
Is it possible the surgery would be "outpatient"?
Who will be assigning you during the surgery and are they affiliated with the same clinic?
What should I do to handle gas?
How long will I be out of work? Is it possible to return on a partial work schedule?

I guess the questions should be tailored to your needs/concerns. I probably will have more questions when I go for my pre-op with the surgical nurse on Wednesday.
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanks Minna2880. You had a lot of the same questions, I had, but also gave me some great ones I hadn't thought about. Some additional ones I thought of were,

1. What is his availability after surgery, will he be reachable by hospital staff, family members?

2. What the course of action is if I decide to remove my ovaries. Start HRT immediately or take a wait and see approach?

3. What type of incision (vertical or horizontal) and how will it be closed?

4. What is his plan for pain management both in the hospital and at home?

Hope this offers you some help with your preop./sdk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciadria View Post
Thanks Minna2880. You had a lot of the same questions, I had, but also gave me some great ones I hadn't thought about. Some additional ones I thought of were,

1. What is his availability after surgery, will he be reachable by hospital staff, family members?

2. What the course of action is if I decide to remove my ovaries. Start HRT immediately or take a wait and see approach?

3. What type of incision (vertical or horizontal) and how will it be closed?

4. What is his plan for pain management both in the hospital and at home?

Hope this offers you some help with your preop./sdk
Yes I will definitely add #1 and 4 to my list. I'm keeping both ovaries my physician stated I am too young for her to send me into menopause but if there is damage she may remove them. I'm having my surgery laproscopic but she said if it needs to be abdominal then I would receive a bikini cut. She answered alot of my questions without me asking them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register