I've heard horror stories, are they true - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've heard horror stories, are they true I've heard horror stories, are they true

Unread 12-08-2004, 11:59 PM
I've heard horror stories, are they true

After you re-evaluate your decision....even get another professional opinion, as mentioned by the wise sisters..............then, if you've chosen to go forward, try to keep as busy as you can feathering your nest, getting your ducks in a row, etc.

Waiting is the WORST! I actually believe that was worse than the surgery and recovery combined for me.....I was a nervous wreck. Take care, and keep us posted.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 07:13 AM

Leith:

I am sorry you had to put up with such discouragement when faced with your own surgery. I think you might be right, sometimes people pass on stories like that and there is usually more information to it or they just got the entire story wrong.

I agree with fibroid woman's post 100%, a woman facing a hysterectomy should get a few opinions(thats exactly what I did).
Don't just go on the first opinion, unless it is life threatening and they have to act right away, and most of the time that's not the case. I was also a nervous wreck before surgery, but even with some complications that I am dealing with, the waiting was worse than everything for me also, I thougt I would drive myself crazy and when it was all over with, and from talking with my doc she said a hysto is a very common surgery for alot of gyn's and she seemed very competent and confident and that put my mind a little more at ease.
Unread 12-09-2004, 10:39 AM

I just had a TVH on Monday, Dec 6th and it was not a horror story. I feel so mcuh better already. Everyone has different ways of looking at things, different things happen, etc..

Are you having a TVH, or what kind?

shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM

I am one who has had complications since her hyst, requiring further surgeries. The impact on my general health has been profound. I don't consider mine a 'horror story', but it started me down a path I wish I hadn't had to tread.

Many, many women have hysterectomies and do just fine. However, some don't do fine at all. Of those, some realize after the fact that they were much better off before the surgery, and wish they could turn back the hands of time. Since they can't, I think that sometimes they transfer a lot of that energy into trying to make sure no one else suffers their fate (an unnecessary surgery with a negative outcome).

While trying to scare others into not having surgery isn't a kind or productive tactic, reading these women's stories can serve a useful purpose. It can motivate ladies who haven't yet had surgery to really make sure they have done their homework, tried all the non surgical alternatives and gotten several opinions before agreeing to have the surgery.

We have members here who have had the whole range of experiences, and reading all their stories, not just the negative ones and not just the "best thing I ever did" ones, can give us a balanced view of life after a hysterectomy -- for better or for worse. IMHO, going into surgery with a positive, optimistic attitude is a good thing, but tempering it with a dose of reality can help one be prepared to accept whatever consequences arise.

Best wishes for good health to everyone reading this, whether you ultimately have a hysterectomy or not.

-Linda
Unread 12-09-2004, 11:47 AM

just my
a lot of the women in here who do have positive recoveries move on, so you may only hear about those with the post op problems.

I was scared to death prior to my surgery. I did take a deep breath and took stock of my situation. I knew that this was a right decision for me. I have had a good recovery, and thank God everyday. You have to do what you feel in your heart is right.
s and best wishes!
Unread 12-09-2004, 02:19 PM

Will pray that once you've re-evaluated your decision, you can go forward with whatever decision you make..........feeling secure in knowing you've armed yourself with as much information as possible and have made an educated choice you can live with, come what may.

The worst thing you can do is nothing.................things will only worsen if you just hope it will all go away. I learned that lesson the hard way. I ended up being forced into the only option left, but turned out just fine!

Bless you.
Unread 12-09-2004, 05:10 PM

Dolphin,

I am also 37yrs old, had my surgery on 15 November 2004. Was so terrified of what would be the outcome I got 3 gyn opinions - all the same. (my family thoughts I was nuts delaying the inevitable).
My recovery has been relatively easy with only minor hiccups along the way - no major problems. The only thing I'm not looking forward to now is returning to work in a few weeks time. I'm kinda getting used to being a 'Lady of Leisure'.

Good luck - I'm sure it will all go well for you.

Unread 12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
I've heard horror stories are they true

Hi Dolphins37! I'm 41 and had a TVH on Nov. 10, 2004. I was in the same situation as you are childwise and I also wanted to hold on to everything "just in case". It was very emotional for me. I received unhelpful advice and comments from well-meaning family members and friends. I had a long talk with my DH. Ultimately though, it was up to me. I researched and explored every option--less invasive and non-surgical. After much reading and research I realized that in my case, (I was in pain, losing too much blood), and because menopause was years away, doing any one of the lesser options would only be "managed procrastination" to an eventual hysterectomy. Once I realized this, it helped me make my decision.

I researched again, but this time for a good ob/gyn. I found one who specialized in reproductive reconstruction who came with very high recommendations from a friend who had also had a hysterectomy months before. (She was so impressed by her surgery results she even bought him a gift). I rested easier knowing that I was going to be with a very skilled professional.

Congratulations on your 5 year cancer survival. I have a strong family history of cancer. My Aunt had breast cancer with a full masectomy. I lost my mother to cancer in February of this year and lost another Aunt to cancer also, in March. However, the idea of having cancer myself did not enter my mind when I had the hysterectomy. At my one week visit I asked for a pathology report from the surgery. It turns out that I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. I am so happy that I had the hysterectomy. The cervix was removed (YAY!) and I felt 100% better immediately after the surgery compared to the pain I was in before. I became one of the people who kind of wished I had done this sooner. I am definitely happy that I did not put it off any longer.

Sorry to be so long winded. I know you are scared. I was too. It is perfectly normal. The period of time before the surgery was actually worse than the surgery itself because I tormented myself with "what ifs". Post-op I actually feel a lot better than I thought I would. Just arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible to make an informed decision--the best decision for you. If you decide to go ahead with hysterectomy, then get the best doctor you can find. Don't let them talk you into anything you don't feel comfortable with. My first ob/gyn wanted to do a LAH and offered no other options, so I got a second opinion. Don't be afraid to go through more than one ob/gyn until you find the right one. My friend went through 4 before she found hers and she was happy to share him with me.

Please take care. With the facts and soul searching you will find the decision that is right for you.

This site has been very helpful to me. I'm glad you found it. Good Luck to you. Keep us posted.
Unread 12-13-2004, 10:39 AM

My horror story is true. I would not have this surgery again. Heavy periods are fairly common starting in the late 30's. If you think you can adjust to it, you have no evidence of life threatning disease, living with it is an option.

My complication took almost 3 months from my life. I am just starting to get my life back. Complications: Sutured ureter, loss of sensation alerting me to how full my bladder is. Abdomen still numb over a 3 " band of skin around my incision. Numbness along inner thigh. Sexually-loss of receptivity. Unable to achieve orgasm. I don't know if this is temporary or permanent.
Unread 12-13-2004, 02:21 PM

NO horror story here. Best thing I've ever done for myself. Wish I'd done it years ago, I have a life now, a life outside the bathroom. I didn't have cycts or tumors, or fibriods, nothing just an enlarged utuerus and extreme bleeding. I had a totally uneventful surgery. No complications. Nothing slowed me down, after 2.5 weeks I was completely back to normal, doing all my housework and job as I'd done before the surgery. At 11 weeks I have lost the weight I'd gained in teh hospital (10lbs) and an additional 7lbs. I have more energy now than I ever did. I finally sleep through the nights. I'm elated with my sucess and wished more sisters would have recoveries like mine. Best wishes
Im 32 with two boys

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register