How many of you have felt this way?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many of you have felt this way?? How many of you have felt this way??

Unread 11-27-2006, 09:12 AM
How many of you have felt this way??

I know it's very normal to be frightened before major surgery, but I am not sleeping well at all tossing and turning. I feel sick to my stomach all the time and very insecure and alone. I want to cry but it's easier to just be tough and have an I just gotta keep going attitude. My mind is going a million miles a minute thinking of all I need to do before the BIG day. Christmas shopping, wrapping things up at work(which keep componding by the minute) worrying and looking after my college age daughter that is dealing with some pretty severe panic and stress episodes. Just dx BP trying to get the meds right. Husband going through a very VERY stressful time at work.(the lights are on but he's not there ) Thank goodness my other two children are doing well. Not feeling very loved and supported right now by anyone.
I don't want to sound like a whinny baby but I'm really having a hard time and just need to vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 09:27 AM

Hello pinkstoc! My surgery was October 23rd, I'm starting my 6th week post-op........In my opinion ~ YES how you are feeling is very normal....with all the stress around the holidays is enough to add all that you are going through must be overwhelming.....I"m so sorry you are feeling this way.....could you reschedule your surgery for after the holidays? I wish I knew what to say to help you feel better...I will tell you that you are not alone on this site!!! Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM

I'm sorry you are feeling like this. I also know how you are feeling. It IS a lot to deal with.
I promise you that when you get home from the castle we will be here to help you and it wont be long and you will find yourselfe reassuring people!
When I am overwhelmed, and I did this a lot before surgery, I set quietley with a scented candle, and soft music and breath slowly and deeply, and with each breath I focus on rest, peacefullness, relxation, calm, strength. It takes a while to get the nack of it, but instead of trying to make your self relax, set there and imaging what it would feel like if you were, how would it feel if your fingers were relaxed an just move through out your body imaging what it would feel like.
Sometimes aromatherappy helps, I also have a lavender scented "pillow" that I focus on the scent and think calm sweet thoughts to help me fall asleep. Tylonal PM can help too.
Its no fun to feel like this I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Awhile back we had the "Three-hour Club" going.
This is an excessively large group of sisters who are averaging 3 hrs. sleep each night!
I"ve been to the hospital once (15th) for this surgery, was bumped, and now going to try again Wednesday. I figure the last time I got 2 nights in a row of decent sleep was maybe in May before I went to the ER May 24th nearly hemorraging. Then it was tests, and biopsies through June. Then my MIL passed away suddenly July 3rd (talk about lights on and no one home with DH!!). Then I signed consent Aug. 11. Yup - I think I got 2 consecutive good nights in May! LOL
I started a B Complex about 3 mos. ago now and it helps immensely. I can take it tomorrow even - just not the day of surgery. Also, Epsom salts in the bath. They're basically magnesium which acts as a muscle relaxant (and no med. side effects )
Take care. Dec. 11th will be here before you know it!
Unread 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Thanks girls. All your words are very helpful. Just to make sure my post came across correctly, my DD is the one thats been dx Bipolar. Not me. Although, lately I feel pretty unstable myself just trying to cope.
Unread 11-27-2006, 10:30 AM

I am feeling the same way. However, last night when I went to bed, I listened to a relaxation tape and I slept throughout the entire night and work up feeling refreshed! What also helps, at least for me, is anything lavender. Just tried this lavender shampoo and conditioner - wonderful!

Kitten
Unread 11-27-2006, 12:40 PM

During the days I was able to keep busy so that I didn't have to think about the surgery too much, but I did have trouble sleeping. When I would start worrying about things, I just kept in mind what it would be like to be free of my fibroids and my horrible periods, and that got me through to my big day.
Unread 11-27-2006, 01:06 PM

boy do i remember! i couldn't sleep and cryed alot. i also couldn't eat so lost some weight. your mind just keeps going and going. its soooo stressful. its really the pits but just remember waiting is the hardest part. well for me it was. good luck!
Unread 11-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Its very normal to feel the way you are feeling pink, I was a wreck prior to my surgery, as women we carry a large load on our shoulders already and we tend to have that I'm ok, I had that attidtude until about a week before my surgery (then I lost it for about 10 min). After which I felt GOOD. I'm starting to sleep now, I had my Dr. prescribe Lunesta for me prior to my surgery since I was on Lupron. I used it a couple of time since surgery. One advice that my Dr. gave me was you will have a better outcome having surgery if your ready for it. If your having any second thoughts or feel you have to much going on now that will hinder your recovery then you might want to consider postponing. Any way the decision you make I'm sure will be the one that's best for you.
Unread 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM
You are not alone

Hi I saw your note and I felt I should let you know that you are not alone. I was feeling the same way and thanks to my younger sister who found this site for me the other day, I feel much better. I reached out for some concerns on my diabetes and had a nice answer already.
I'm freaking out as the surgery nears too! My surgery is December 4, 2006 and my husband checked out several weeks ago as my surgery date is becoming nearer. He just does not want to talk about it at all. I think as I saw in a posting, it's that "fix it" mode men get into. They can't fix this problem so they just check out mentally. Sometimes mine will offer the logical idea instead of consoling me, which is really what I needed, but then once I do the logical thing he said I do feel a little better. Dang sometimes he's just right.
Sometimes I just feel unappreciated too, then I have to look at things from another perspective. They will appreciate us when we can not do the daily routine for them, because we will need bed rest and need to take it easy. Then they will know how much we do for them.
Here's an appreciative for openly dealing with the same feelings I have.
Good Luck on the 11th!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register