use of heating pad okay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

use of heating pad okay? use of heating pad okay?

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
use of heating pad okay?

I am two weeks post op and finding that a heating pad is healping my crampy feeling. My family mentioned that maybe that wasn't a good idea, so wondering what others here have heard? Is it okay to use it on my stomach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Re: use of heating pad okay?

I would ask your doctor first too make sure its ok. I used my binder and a pillow and put that around my belly area when I was in pain. Or place a pillow between your legs and lay on your side and that will help the pain also.
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM

My heating pad was my best friend during my recovery. It was the only thing (along with 600 mg of advil) that relieved my pain, both back and abdominal. It also helped me when I experienced "burning sensations" at around week 4. I tried ice, which others said helped them, but it didn't help me. Whatever helps you feel comfortable is what you should use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM

Hi Glmrphy, you didn't specify the type of surgery you had. I do not think putting a hot pack over an incision would be a good idea so close to surgery. Maybe use one on your back instead. Have you tried a cold pack? You do not want to burn yourself if you have decreased sensation around your incision site. Ultimately it would be the doctors decision. Good luck
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:13 AM

i used a pillow for my belly but on my back, the heating pad was the BEST!!! i don't think i could of done with out it!!!
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:13 AM

I called a nurse at my office and she was a tiny bit concerned about my having an abdominal incision and using a heating pad. She very cautiously said to use it on very low setting with a layer of clothing in between (I was already doing that). However, I think I will stick with using it on my lower back for now, thanks for all the advice!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register