home today.....wish i had taken | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

home today.....wish i had taken home today.....wish i had taken

Unread 03-14-2004, 01:52 AM
home today.....wish i had taken

i am home today after abdominal. removed all but one ovary. the found no cancer but did find endo..
anyway believe it or not i as i progressed through this whole thing i kept thinking of all of you ladies in waiting and what i would be sure to tell you when i got home so you would have a heads up.
the scariest part for me was being taken into the operating room.. it got real REAL FAST but they were sensitive and i had very little time to worry...only a cuple minutes before i was OUT. waking up to no pain med. was most pain i suffered but once they started the morphine i was very fine.. i did not realize what a FOG i would be in and unable to concentrate on anything, movies books OUT.. the gas pressure was my next SURPRISE. sent DH to walgreens for gas-X cause nurses seemed to think walking was all i needed. gas ex helped a lot at first..but dont let them see it theyll freak. the maternity ward was a surprise, i have children but could imagine it being incensitive to those of you who do not... and the nurses on that ward mostly care for those who have had childbirth and seemed a little, no a lot insensitive to the diffrence in the pain level so getting med was a constant hassle. my pre-scrip for percaset was evey 4 hours as needed well they only brought it if i said i NEEDED it well i have this gaping hole in my stomach I NEED IT lol anyway get on them up front ladies. glad i took my own soda in i stayed thirsty... so dh could get me ice for my diet coke at my demand.. the cathedor was a little scary for a minute but i learned to enjoy it because i did not have to get up to pee.
you wont believe the first time you stand up that you will be doing it pretty pain free by the next morning but you will. they say COUGH i say YEAH RIGHT it is a definate 10 on the richter scale.
DH never left my side except for acctual operation. he slept in make shift bed by my side both nights. so above all dont forget to pack DH. i will never leave home without him. Warn family members that phone calls are a pain cause by the time you menouvour around to reach it they have hung up.
sorry so long hope this helps someone. it really is not bad. im home only 8 hrs and already giving up pain med... if only i could poop. and just one more piece of advice.. shave a little off the top yourself because it is obvious to me the have never been to barber school.
thanks for all your prayers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2004, 02:48 AM

Don't be too brave about the pain meds. You don't want to be behind the pain. Bookfairy
Unread 03-14-2004, 07:26 AM

Twistedsister,

Thanks for the headsup. I will keep all of this in mind for Monday. I'm glad your doing so well. Just take your time with your recovery. I asked about the gasX and my Dr told me that they will have something there for me because I do have acid reflux and have to have something for all my gas anyway. I hope i'm not on the maternity ward because my son just moved out in October with his 3 girls, 3,2 and 1 and I just got used to no babies crying. That will drive me nuts because I love babies and miss my granddaughters so much. Good l,uck with your recovery and I hope all goes well.

Love Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2004, 07:57 AM

welcome home sister.but dont do to much up at the pc already....lol i will also be in the preggo ward...they have 6 extra rooms........*shudder* i thought it was a big mean to..i have kids but still........
Unread 03-14-2004, 08:16 AM

thank you for sharing your feelings.
I'm looking for all the advice I can get!
(soft) hugs to you, and take care.
Unread 03-14-2004, 08:19 AM

wow. i feel lucky because where i am going there are 36 beds on a floor all devoted to hysterectomy . no babies.

i know what you mean about the gas from my c sections. i took dulcolax to the hospital with me the third time because i was worrieed that they wouldn't give it to me. any other advice?
Unread 03-14-2004, 09:31 AM

Your post made me laugh, Twistedsister! The barber school comment was too funny. I'm glad you are back home & doing so well. I'm going to have to ask if I'll be put on the maternity ward also. I love babies so that's no bother but I don't want the nurses to ignore me & my pain! So, I guess a lot of you guys didn't need to be hooked up to the really strong meds for days after your surgery? I'm just really worried about the pain issue since I've already been in it for like 3 yrs.

Well, take care of yourself and don't do too much too soon; by the length of your post it looks like you're that type of person anyway!!

Best to you,
Lovely
Unread 03-14-2004, 03:06 PM

well im back .. i can not tell a lie i did not give up my perc for long. by the time i had bravely gave up 2 doses i was quiting that whole idea. dh (i call him nurse hatchett) gave me a good chewing out so im grounded to the lazyboy. he fell asleep so i snuck in here for a minute.. i do feel much better though... thanks for your concern
if only i could poop id give ole nurse hatchett the boot!!!
Unread 03-14-2004, 03:57 PM

Before you take ANY meds to the hospital with you, you need to get permission from your DR. If he gives his permission you still MUST tell your caregivers BEFORE you take any medication. They will be giving you meds also and this is to avoid possible overdosing or a potentially dangerous drug interaction. Even something that seems as harmless as aspirin or even stool softeners.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ladies - don't take medication without your caregivers’ knowledge. While you are in the hospital your health and well-being is their responsibility, don't unknowingly put your life in jeopardy.

The same goes for food and beverages: ask permission before you eat or drink anything they haven't given you. You may be on a liquid diet for a day or so, and usually they are measuring how much liquid goes in and how much comes out. If you are drinking your own and they don't have it logged it can make the output amount seem wrong.
Unread 03-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Wow Your Home soon!!!

hi twistedsister,what time was your surgery Friday? it is great to hear your home already.
I have recently read alot of your posts and really enjoyed them you have a great sense of humer...

My suregry is tomorow at 11:45, I hope I am back home soon..
i live 70 miles from the hospital and don`t expect many visitors.
Of coarse DH and he has been a blessing.
My kids live 100s of miles away and mom is up there in age.

I`m so glad to hear your home, hope you poop soon.

warm hugs Joniangel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register